RCU Forums - View Single Post - JR Crystal Swapping
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
acrojack202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR Crystal Swapping

Just a comment on the crystal swapping subject that may save someone my unfortunate fate.

I made the mistake of using a crystal from a single conversion Rx, a JR955S, in a dual conversion Rx, a JR945S. JR techs will tell you that either type receiver will not function with the wrong type crystal so, with that logic, there should be no way to get in trouble.

Not so.

Both my dual conversion 945's work well enough with a single conversion crystal to pass a field range check; even with the transmitter antenna removed. In fact , I flew two successful flights with the single conversion crystal in the 945S before losing complete control, and my Hangar 9 Edge 540, on the third flight.

No doubt I was remiss in not knowing that the crystal types were not interchangeable. But even after looking through the manuals for my new 10X and my older 10S, and the packaging for the crystal and new receiver, I can find no warning against interchanging types. They are color coded differently; red for the dual conversion and gray for the single conversion. But they are outwardly physically identical and fit either receiver perfectly.

Be careful; its a costly mistake.

Jack