View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 12:40 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly gas in a 60 sized airframe

ORIGINAL: Crusty

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

Fastrat, I hope that JettPilot was just kidding. The Evolution 26cc is way to large and heavy for most 60 sized planes. As an example, the RCS 1.40 is both smaller and lighter, I believe, than the "Evolution" 26cc MVVS Gas engine that Horizon is now importing. And the RCS is already physically too big and heavy for a .60 sized plane. People have used the RCS in 90-120 sized planes, but a 60-size plane is really gonna be heavy, even if you can manage to fit it in place.

Yes, it is also possible to convert a glow engine to gas. Typically, however, glow engines are not designed with needle bearings. They do not have carbs where the fuel needle size settings that are optimized for gas. The plain bearings will cause you to have to run high oil content, similar to nitro fuels so it will still be messy. You might need a fuel pump regulator as well if you use a glow style carb in a conversion. Also gas engines burn approx 1/3 the amount of fuel for a given engine displacement compared to the same engine running glow fuel. This means that you will have to use smaller orifices for gas, ie, change the carb/needle to work better with it.
Strange comment, considering the evolution would be more suitable than the little Gasser that fastrat mentioned, yet you make no comment on that but instead throw water on the better,(if still not the best) solution
I guess you didnt actually look into the little gasser that fastrat mentioned before making your comment

Crusty, in fact I did look at that little engine, thank you. It did not seem to be enough for his application. My comments on converting glow to gas came from an assumption in this and the other thread that someone might want an engine more size/weight appropriate, which is possible, but still quite a chore to accomplish. Ralph agrees that the MVVS 1.6/Evolution 26 is too heavy, with everything on board to be appropriate for most 60 sized planes, however the thread originator did not state what plane he was looking to place it in, making it a bit of a generalization. JettPilot's subsequent comment that a plane can't have too large an engine is rather silly in my opinion. You can put in whatever you want to overpower something, but if the wingloading increases too much, the plane will fly poorly, especially if someone wanted to do 3D aerobatics, for instance. Again, it all depends upon the general application. As Dick commented, there are a couple of slightly smaller ones, the FPE 1.3 and RCS 140, which I had mentioned as well, which have lower all-up weights. There are siome pattern planes flying with the RCS140, but once again, it's physically a 140 sized engine with 120 engine power level.