RCU Forums - View Single Post - First electric plane.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:44 PM
smokingwreckage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First electric plane.

I've received a Dynaflite Piece-o-Cake kit as a gift. This is a 2-3 channel motor glider designed for .049 1/2A engines. It has a 72-inch span and will weigh 24-28 ounces if set up for glow power.

For sentimental reasons (I had one set up for free flight back when we found thermals by looking for teradactyls) I'm building the kit, my first electric model aircraft. I've scrounged the following parts for electrical power:

Himax Gear Motor HA2025-4200 with 6.6:1 gear drive;
Castle Creations Phoenix-25 brushless, sensorless speed control;
4 pieces 3000mAh lithium-polymer 9C continuous, 12C intermittant cells;

or

26 pieces 800 mAh lithium polymer 6.35 continuous (C figure may be higher but that's all I've tested them to because that's all I needed for the application for which the cells are now being used) cells;
APC LP 12038SF 12x3.8SF Slo Flyer composite propeller;

Hitec Electron 6 micro receiver;
Hitec HS-55 servos.

Here are my questions:
Is the power system a good replacement for a .049 glow engine?

The instructions for the plane call for standard servos. Several RC modelers with more experience than me have told me the micro servos will be okay because electric is gentler and a 2-meter floating motorglider has very low control forces. True or false?

The 3000 mAh 3-cell 9C battery will handle 27 amps of continuous output, which is more than the motor requires (30000 mAh x 9C =27,000 mAh - 27 A). Is that how the math is done?

Will a 2S2P arrangement for the 3000 mAh cells provide sufficient power for the plane to have reasonable vertical performance and extend the flight times?

Would I be better off using the 800mAh cells in a 3S3P or 3S4P arrangement?

Thanks for your help.