RCU Forums - View Single Post - MINI FUNTANA POWER SETUP?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MINI FUNTANA POWER SETUP?

Dizzane,

With Electric models its very important to understand how the motors, controllers and props work. An electric motor will try to turn the same rpm no matter what prop you stick on it. This will not happen of course due to the loads the prop put on the motors but in theory they try to run the same rpms, and they will be close. A larger prop will draw more current and this means more heating. A smaller prop will draw less current and mean less heating.

This is of course a very general rule of thumb. Some of the advice you have gotten is good to try and cool the controller better. What you need to find out is what current is the motor drawing. If the motor has a problem then it can draw lots more current than another guys setup. The current your electric setup is using is like a tach reading ona glow motor. You know if it was running at 12,000rpm with that prop on that % of nitro with that glow plug all is well. But when its only getting 9000 on the same setup something is going wrong. In the electric motors we are using lots can happen to them from manufacturer defects (while rare) they can happen. Also something could be up with your controller. If you knew the amps you are pulling in your setup you could have this benchmark. Example if its pulling 30amps then you know that your speed controller is not big enough for this setup as its only rated at 25.

I am not familiar with the AXi 2808 but I have a couple of 2208's and they have been very good little motors. I have seen in both larger electric motors and small foamy stuff where the motor got too hot and did what call a "De-Mag" where the magnets partially de magnatized and now the motor is not operating correctly. A current reading will tell you this. Because on a friends larger Hacker setup he went from 65amps to over 85amps and was burning up speed controllers. Well the controller was rated at 77amps he wa running 85. This happened froma lack of cooling and running the system too long.

For the most part we over abuse our equipment. I'm not saying you have in your case...But perhaps the motor is getting hot, the controller is getting hot. Perhaps you have some of the current limiting options set in your controller that are causing it to stop. My experience with the small AXI motors and the Castle controller has been excellent. They are both good products. Perhaps something is wrong with yours at the momement.
Long post but Astro Flight makes a Whatt meter and E-Flite has a power meter they are a few bucks but are worth getting or borrowing froma friend to test your current draw. Maybe you have a bad solder joint...Lots can happen that are invisible to the eye with these electric powered models. You need a benchmark...

I know this doesn't solve your problem but hopefully it gives you some direction to look.

Troy Newman
Team JR