RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

FINALLY, The first flight is behind us on the new R-2 !!!! The a/c flew absolutely flawlessly and without a hitch !! This has got to be the BEST flying GB I have ever flown,and I've had about 10 r2-r1's thru the years from 1'5 scale to 33% scale. The takeoff was absolutely straight forward and required some up trim and 2 notches of rt rudder to fly hands off . It rolls ,loops,and other stuff as good s you would want a racer to do it. The knife edges are absolutely unreal ! It just lays on its side and hauls butt. Weight came out at the normal 36 lbs and the cg was in the middle of the recomended and works great. I put the throws at exactly what C/F said to do and it was perfect. I also put in 30 % expo and that felt good,although I will play around with it some more. I have a 3W ols stle 120cc on it and can't understand why anyone would want more power. I have dual batteries for the receiver with EMS/JOMAR battery backer and 1 1800 ma on the ignition. All three batteries are attached to the back of the motor bowl in cushioned straps and the a/c balanced perfect with no added weight. I did move the gear forward as reccomended and that definitely helps the c/g also. That along with the C.B.wheels are a plus for the cg. This GB is just like all the rest in that it HATES CROSS WINDS !!! The one flight I made on Saturday the wind was direct down the runway on takeoff ,and as soon as the wheels cleared the ground it switched to a direct-quartering cross wind and stayed that way ! I made several approaches to landing and was hoping the wnd would switch to a headwind . I finally commited to the landing and fought it thru the landing and roll-out till it stopped ,IN ONE PIECE and no scratches !!! YEA !!! Lets load up and go home so I can change my pants !! Am I satisfied with the a/c ?? I am 125 % satisfied and am thinking of building another one pretty soon as a backup . There are some things that I changed to make it easier with field assembly and longevity and if you're interested give me a e-mail and I will get some detailed pics to you as soon as possible.Thanks and I will post on the subsequent flights. Wayne [email protected]