RCU Forums - View Single Post - water in fuel
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: water in fuel

A mix of two miscible substances like water and methanol freezes at a lower freezing point than either of the pure components. The mix with the lowest freezing point is the eutectic mix. So a water/methanol mix is likely to freeze at a much colder temperature than you can get in a home freezer. Many years ago we used to mix antifreeze and water to get a mixture with a low enough freezing point to protect the cooling system. Makes you wonder why we don't have to do that with modern antifreeze.

Downunder's web page is a good read. It is interesting that the oil comes out of solution as it does. Molecules which have a charged area will fit into the structure of water. These are called hydrophylic molecules. Methanol has charged areas on the OH and thus fits in quite well. Oils generally do not have charged areas and are called hydrophobic molecules. Oils that mix with methanol, or water, would need, I think, a charged area somewhere on the molecule, but most of the molecule is uncharged. So I guess a certain amount of Brownian movement, molecular vibration, heat, is necessary to keep them 'shooken up' in the methanol. Correction welcome, as this is more chemistry than I actually know.