RCU Forums - View Single Post - How can I hop up my F-27 stryker without going brushless?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 PM
redgiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How can I hop up my F-27 stryker without going brushless?

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl
Or find the new B version motor & prop from PZ, It's designed to run off 3 s lipo
You will have to time your flights though as the stock Rx doesn't have a lipo cut off.
The stock Rx from a year ago doesn't have the LiPo cutoff, but the "B"-series stock Rx does (it's identical to the P-51 stock Rx).

I have to contradict one earlier poster: the stock system is nowhere near maxxed out "stock"! You'll completely transform your bird by buying a pair of Dymond LiPos (3S1P 2100mAh, narrow form factor). Fits perfectly in the battery compartment. Use a timer, set it for fifteen minutes, and use it with the new 5.3x3.3 "LiPo Prop" provided with the B-series Strykers. They're $2.99 at any local hobby shop which carries ParkZone stuff.

* Great runtimes of 15-20 minutes
* Nice amp draw at around 9 amps, easily handled by the stock ESC
* Terrific speed for "stock", easily 45-50MPH straight-and-level
* Higher servo responsiveness due to slightly increased voltage (at least it seems that way, it could just be more responsive due to higher speed)
* Effortless thirty-degree climbs forever. Forty-fives will work, but only for the first minute or two of battery.
* Loop from level flight all the way through the battery life
* 10 oz of thrust (bench test at 5000' elevation, should be a little more at sea level)

Unfortunately, if you buy LiPo batteries, you need a LiPo charger. So this upgrade will cost you somewhere around $130-$210 for two rc-dymond.com 2100mAh 3S batteries and a charger. Alas, nothing's really cheap in this hobby it seems. You could go with a smaller pack and commensurately shorter runtimes; I strongly recommend you do the math if you do this without an appropriate cutoff on your RX. For instance, going to a 1500mAh would be like this:
11.1V 3S LiPo @ 1500mAh = 90 amp-minutes
90 amp-minutes / 9 amps of draw = 10 minute full-throttle (6C discharge rate)
So you'd set your timer for 10 minutes. If your motor is damaged, however, it may draw significantly more amps than this, which could destroy your expensive LiPo battery. A multimeter static reading is your best insurance, other than an ESC with an appropriate cutoff.

I recommend the Great Planes Electrifly Triton charger; it retails for $130, but I got mine new for $90. I modded an old PC power supply I had laying around to provide clean 12V DC power, and I always have two packs charged and ready to go for about forty-five minutes of fun at a time (5-minute walk to the local park, fly for 15-20 minutes, land, change batteries, fly again, and I'm pretty much done flying. One more battery pack wouldn't hurt, though!)

Of course, you can buy a whole new Stryker for $180.00...

--
Matt B.