RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?

You are in great condition with the engines you own. Why? Because you bought good engines
to begin with.

This is the second reference I have seen to a Bluehead ST .50. I've been in and out of the hobby
over the years, so there are periods of engines that I know nothing about.

I had/have a Bluehead G60 and I used to own an ST S40 with a bluehead, but I've never heard of
a Bluehead .50 by ST. Could you post a picture of this for me? I would really appreciate it.

Watch running too much nitro in those older engines. The new engines, just about all of them, can tolerate
10 to 15% nitro in the hot summer heat without a problem. The older ST engines could not.

Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: sscherin

I'm getting back into the hobby after 15 years of off doing other things..

Lucky for me I never sold off my gear so I'm not starting out from scratch..

What I was wondering is how the my collection of 20+ year old motors stack up aginst todays engines..

Most of what I have are OS engines and 1 Saito 4 stroke.. From what I've been reading todays OS isn't what is used to be.

This is what I have.. Most were bought between 85 and 87..

OS FP .35 (Strap on muffler type)
OS FX .45 ABC Ringed piston (I know it's ringed I had to replace it once)
OS FS .40 4 stroke (always a great running motor)
OS FS .61 4 stroke (another good runner)
Saito .45 4 stroke (hmm say around 1987 or 88 I believe)
Supertigre .50 (Blue Head, I've never run it.. I got it used from a friend.. I have no clue how old it is)

My current plans are to run the FS .40 4 stroke or the FP .35 on the Eagle II we are building for my wife's son and the Saito .45 4 stroke on my Falcon III.

The Super Tigre .50 is on the nose of a 50's 2 channel Stearman PT-17 that was supposed to have a .35 on it..
Back in the 80's I'd converted it to 4 channel and took out all the dihedral.. It should be an evil flying plane if I ever get the guts to fly it. It's all finished and waiting in my Dad's attic back in Washington. I never got around to flying the silly thing.