RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 PM
RTD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to todays Engines compare to 20 years ago?

sscherin,
Similar to you, I decided to return to the hobby after a 18 year break. I also thought that I would use all my old engines (OS90FS, Enya60X, OS40FSR, Enya 40TV, Enya 45, Enya 35, Enya 19X, TT 15, Taipan 1.5) as a means to keep the costs down and just to rekindle the relationships with these marvelous old engines. I went as far as to think that I would build a few of the old kits I had. Well, the first thing I discovered is that the cost of modeling has not kept up with inflation, it's so much cheaper (relatively speaking) than it was 18 years ago. Also, 18 years ago I was a high school kid earning my money part-time and now it's just that much easier to buy new stuff. The progress in ARF is fantastic for those of us with less time than enthusiasm. The new brood of radios just blow you away when you look at reliability and features for such a low price. Some of the brands of new engines may not appear that cheap but the progress made by other brands (Thunder Tiger, Magnum etc.) has really brought their quality to a good standard - and they're relatively cheap. Now I've sold most of the old engines at good prices, bought a heap of new stuff and now I enjoy this hobby more than I ever did. If you're going to use your old radio gear I'd suggest that you replace all the nicads and have the system serviced and certified. Recommissioning your old engines will be a lot of fun and don't forget to buy fuel with Castor oil in it, the older engines will be happy and you'll love the smell.
Glad to see another past R/Cer pick up from where they let go. Hope you get a real kick out modern R/C.
Cheers RTD