RCU Forums - View Single Post - AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

I built my own 3300ma packs. At batteryspace.com I got two 10 packs of 3300ma cells with solder tabs for like $50. Made two 7 cell packs and one 6 cell pack out of them. You can't beat the price and they work great. Flight times are MUCH longer and the extra horsepower was enough to fold the stock wing where the rod ends. I now have a longer rod in the wing. I make my tails out of coruplast and they work better than stock. I also glue a carbon rod across the tail from tip to tip to prevent folds and the flat syndrome. I converted over to standard electronics and am using a 50 amp speed control (stock motor draws about 20 amps) and a JR 6 channel RX along with HS81 servos. I simply took the stock plastic board "stand" that the original board mounted on and cut a piece of aluminum to the same size as the stock board. I then mounted this onto the stand with the servos/speed control/rx in roughly the same position on the board as the stock parts. I switched over to (I think .42) piano wire to replace the fishing line, and am using Dubro horns and mini Dubro Mini EZ connects to hitch the wire to the servos/horns. MUCH less slop than stock. The size wire I used was just able to fit the holes in the EZ links. I also use two zip ties for the motor mount and one around the tail boom in the body. For added strength I put another wing rubbermount peg through the body and tight over the top of the circuit board. The tail is mostly to stock dimensions but with slightly bigger flap areas. This, along with the rod across the tail tips (to lesson flex) can give me several seconds of inverted flight.