RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone know how much expense in A hobby Shop
Old 11-03-2002, 01:20 PM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Luck

After having spent many nights and weekends working in the LHS, (before it closed) I was always amazed at the people that would walk in with a "Tower Talk" and try and get you to match Tower price on little items like hardware when the difference was $.15. When you wouldn't (couldn't, boss's orders) they would get all hacked off and storm out like you had insulted their only child. I liked the store as it was a place the R/C guys could get together and just hang around and talk, point to and look at new stuff, show each other how they did stuff, and generally have a good time. I miss that now.
We placed orders twice a week, on Weds and Sats, so the most an item (non-backordered... don't get me started here) should take was a week (you ordered Sun, we ordered on our next order which was Weds, and got it on Fri or Sat.) I did Kyosho, MA, and Hirobo parts and stocked Kyosho (Concept 30) in the store (TT Raptor was not around then). Yes, we made some mistakes in ordering and had to reorder and we also had several guys special order unusual (and expensive) items and when they came in (3 days later), refused to come pick them up when we called them saying they no longer needed them and expected us to eat them.
Our boss ran three other companies and was a multi-millionaire and while the store did make a profit, it wasn't much and he ran the store as a service to the R/C community in the area. When he lost his store manager (to a better paying job, the guy had a family to support) and could not find a qualified replacement (I was only part time since I also work a full time job), he closed the store. It was a sad day for the local guys.
5 years later, we have a HobbyTown USA run by a guy who has ZERO R/C experience and isn't really interested in learning the hobby, he just wants to sell stuff. While I have been in the store and buy any non heli related items I need from him (I am a MA sponsored pilot so I get heli parts direct) there really isn't much there that interests me. I do buy HO train stuff there but even that wouldn't make $20 a month. He is now selling mostly toys and beginner R/C stuff that comes in combos. I wish him luck.