RCU Forums - View Single Post - CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CALLING ALL "TAURUS" OWNERS.

Crank bending 101...Can't let this one get by....ANY crank can be bent..I straighten bent cranks..I don't "make a living" doing so...The G62 crank does NOT bend any easier than any other...I have seen most all engine cranks out there, and the diameter of the crank in a Taurus is no larger than that in the G62..Most of the engines use the same size crank and 6202 bearings...The main factor in crank bending is the distance from the end of the hub to the bearing in the case...The engines with a very short crank extension don't bend as easily as engines such as the Fuji 50 and G38 with relatively long hubs..
A G62 and most other cranks measure about .590...
The Sachs 3.2 crank measures the same at the bearings but the mag side that all engine makers use is smaller...Combine that with the distance from the hub to the bearing and the leverage makes for easy bending..
The Taurus uses 2 bearings on the front, so the distance from the front bearing to the hub is much shorter, therefore harder to bend..3W and US Engines cranks are so hard they're brittle, but can be bent in a hard crash..
Only other single cylinder engines I know of that use 2 front bearings are the Zenoah G23/26 and the late Precision Eagle 4.2 TOC version of the Sachs..
Cantilever cranks by their very nature use 2 front bearings, with the hub just in front of the bearing...Harder to bend, but not impossible.
Twin cylinder engines are somewhat the same, but the hub on a twin is just in front of the bearing, harder to bend..
ANY crank CAN be bent...The crank in our 289cc race twins is ,787 diameter...When the plane hits the ground at 220+mph something has to give..Been there
Don't know about the Taurus crank, but if it's a stock Sachs it is either using the back straight end or two different size bearings on the front..It can be done, early Quadra 200cc twins had two different size bearings on BOTH ends of the crank...They have since changed to the same size...
ALL pressed together cranks can twist in the middle...A twisted crank in a two bearing engine will look just like it's bent, but the two ends are just out of concentricity..A twisted crank in a 3 bearing engine usually won't show up unless the crank is taken out and measured in a jig..
It WILL show up if the crank is in the case without the piston and cylinder...The crank will spring slightly back and forth when rotated..[8D]