RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are Servos Overpriced?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are Servos Overpriced?

Overpriced?

Depends on which direction you're coming from.

I just replaced $56 "worth" of micro servos in my Mini Edge. They were only $13 each and supposed to be faster and better than the $20 ones. Yeah.... Sure.... One of them locked up on it's own. Another one took what amounted to a "hanger rash" bump THROUGH THE RUDDER AND LINKAGE and chipped a tooth, while the rudder didn't even show a dent! At that point, I decided that yeah, I had gotten screwed by the cost. Them puppies should have been free. Actually, the mfg should have paid me to use 'em.

I used to fly competition.... Sail planes competition.... Just flat-lands thermal competition.... Very seldom went very fast.... Actually didn't move the stick very often or very much... And trust me, paying "too much" for the best servo wasn't in my mind at all... Didn't bother me for a second. The best is worth it to some. Not to others.

The beauty of servo prices is that if you think some are too pricy, don't buy them. You've got prices all the way from that "too much" one down to "too little". We're way rich in this hobby with the options we have, and servo choices is one of the greatest riches.