RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA alternative ?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 08:12 AM
ctdahle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA alternative ?

Originally posted by bpannier
...That is like saying you can only drive on I 15 with Allstate insurance and to drive on I 95 you have to have Travelers insurance....I don't think so.....
No, actually, it is like going to Britain and deciding that you prefer American traffic laws, so you are going to ignore the British ones.

I don't know why this is so difficult for people to understand. If you join an AMA sanctioned club, you must join the AMA and follow the AMA safety code in order to have adequate insurance coverage. If you fly at a UMA club, then you have to have UMA and follow their safety code. If you travel around the country to fly, I suppose you had better shell out for both.

If you travel internationally and want to fly in an FAI sanctioned event, you have to be a member of the AMA in order to obtain reciprocal insurance coverage from the modelsport organization in that country, and to be allowed to compete. As far as I know, UMA does not sanction competition, and does not have reciprocal agreements with any foreign modelsport organizations, nor with the FAI.

If you own your own quarter-section and want to fly model airplanes from your own pivot road, you can do anything you want. If you let others fly from your private site, it is up to you what you want your visitors to do, but most landlords are going to insist that the lessees get coverage from the AMA.