RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:49 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Good for you on finishing the plane! I know the feeling as I just spent about two weeks figuring out a good way to replace the fishing line on the Extreme with control rods. Fought it tooth and nail with a lot of false starts, but this morning I won the battle and am very happy with the results! Well..., I haven't flown it yet but things look good on the ground with no binding and great flap movement. So, that's two birds down...A new body build for my BP21 and Stryker using all my latest mods...which has only been on one maiden flight thus far, and now the final piece to my Extreme's conversion to standard electronics...so she gets to sit there and rest for better weather as well. Well, I might convert the wing mounting on it from rubberbands to wing nuts and two bolts so I don't have to trust the rubberbands to hold the wing anymore.

So, that leaves my poor Challenger that is in bad need of a BP21, standard electronics and control rods. But, think I'll leave that project on the shelf until I build one of these foamies.

No fair, you are beating me to using a BP21 and lipos in this bird build! I'm really anxious to hear how she does. Why aren't you using a 7x6 prop on this motor as it is the best all around size with it on the Stryker? I'd go ahead and throw a carbon tube through the entire wing and booms to avoid what you know will happen with the kind of speeds the BP21 can do. Short of that I'd at least use the strapping tape called "Extreme" that can be found at Office Max and other stores. If features strapping tape strands that go in both directions versus regular strapping tape. I use it on the Stryker in certain areas and man is it strong. It might be enough to hold the plane together at top speeds while stunting.

I'm still up in the air which size of this plane to build first...the stock size with a BP21 or the ramped up version with the 540 motor. It would be smarter to follow the stock size first and learn how to build the plane, but then again I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. We'll let you know which one I start with when the mood hits and I begin the project...Maybe starting today since the weather outside is real bad and I'm not working today. Soon at least, very soon! Great job again and how about some pictures of that beauty?