RCU Forums - View Single Post - SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 AM
kwiktsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

Add another to the list . I did one up with a 19x1 Epic motor- much faster than stock, but still needs more . I am going to try an adjustable motor mount and larger pinion first. I am running a bigger pinion than what came on it, but it is still too small- I get just about 20 mins out of a 3000 pack! This thing is barely working and can afford to go up probably about 5-7 teeth still- that will probably wake it up nicely up top. Needs some serious suspension work though, especially out back- the rear is way too stiff and just wants to catapult it over on hard bumps. Broke a spindle last night too, but a replacement was easy to make. I used the shoulder (smooth) section from a bolt, ground the square on top with a dremel and on the bottom, I just drilled it through so that the ski pivot bolt holds it together. Oh yeah, I had to cut the ski end of this on about a 30 degree angle or so to get it in as deep as possible- you'll see what I mean if you ever have to do this.

I hooked the head and tail lights up also. I pulled the power from the "batt" plug on my reciever (not enough amps to hurt anything) and used the original power switch to turn them on and off.

Also- I see some of you are mounting all the electronics up front- I didn't want them "exposed" (although, I guess you aren't having issues with them getting wet) and this thing needs all the weight it can get in the tail, so I mounted them under the original battery holder where the original electronics board was and put the holder back on. I had to trim the front edge of the battery holder away so the battery would fit. It keeps the electronics safely covered and gets as much weight in the back as possible. I also used a smaller ESC than the rooster though, I was going to use my rooster but it wouldn't fit back there. I also had to use a servo extension to reach the receiver.

Hope this helps people in the future with this conversion.

mnkay- do you know if new brite still makes these? I looked on their site and they are not available. Are tehy just seasonal builds, or are they discontinued? Do you have spare parts like track, skis, etc? I'll probably be in touch with you shortly about your custom parts also.
Joe