RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 1/4 Scale
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 07:07 PM
kram-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-38 1/4 Scale

Robby:

Why, sho!! Always happy to spread the gospel of 38!

The CBA is a mostly glass model made by, well, CBA. I have the guy's name and phone # in my files at home. I don't know if it's still in production, or available on a custom basis, or what. I tried Googling CBA today and didn't come up with much.

Wingspan is 126", haven't measured the length lately, weight is 54# full of fuel. Mine has twin DA-50's turning counter-rotating 22 X 10 Zinger Props at about 6,500 rpm. It's easy for the DA folks to reverse one of their engines for you, but a little tougher to find just the right size pusher prop. I fly it with a JR 8103, two PCM receivers, 4 heavy duty JR charge switches (two for ignitions), eleven JR and Hitech servos, a few of them reversed to simplify the mixing and the linkages for the rudder and elevator, whose servos are in the aft booms. The gear is heavy-duty custom Gary Barton...air up, spring down. It has inboard flaps only, which are air-powered off an independent air system.

It is very loud, and moderately fast (for a 38), and flies very straight and very heavy (even for a 38). If you don't keep decent throttle on final approach, it will drop the last 3 feet without any regard for elevator input!

As is my custom, I marred the finish on one wing by asking an 80+ year-old exB-24 bombardier from the neighborhood to sign it.

I have less than 20 flights on it, including half a dozen this year, 'cause I've been flying the P-61 and the Fw-190 more for some reason, but I do like it a lot.

mt