RCU Forums - View Single Post - What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:00 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

I agree with Roby...Lou Andrews kits were some of the best! Good luck finding one though...If you can get your hands on a GP Aeromaster, its pretty much the same plane with better instructions. Every GP kit I've built has been a lot of fun..I haven't built them all, but so far I haven't been disapointed. They always have very good instructions and the parts always fit well..Try to look for one of the older "blue box" kits! Also, I've found that some of the best kits are those that come from small mom and pop companys. (for example: Gee Bee Models, maker of the famous "Dreamer" biplane...or GM Precision Products, maker of the awsome Sunbird and Killer Vee) Usually they are produced in smaller batches so the quality of materials is often better, however, I've found that sometimes instructions aren't quite as extensive. But to me thats a plus. I've been building airplanes all my life, I don't really need 2 pages of text to explain how to cut the hinge slots in my ailerons! To sum up...It all depends on how much building skill you have...Any of the larger manufacturers (Sig, Great Planes, Goldberg, etc..) do a great job taking you every step of the way through building their kits..My advice is, pick a design that you like....Building is always fun no matter what kit you choose...just make sure the plane you end up with is something you will enjoy!