RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nexstar solo w/o Instructor...what are my odds?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nexstar solo w/o Instructor...what are my odds?

ORIGINAL: britbrat

ORIGINAL: bryris

I must be in the minority. I have about 400 hours of full scale and it has helped me much more than it has hurt. In full scale, you train to know all the ins and outs of what makes a plane fly and you bring this knowledge to the rc field. Doesn't help on perspective, no doubt, but aerodynamics, it certainly helped me.
You may be in a minority group here with full-scale qualifications, but hardly an insignificant minority -- lots of us have hundreds &/or thousands of full-scale hrs. Knowledge of aerodynamics is knowledge of areodynamics -- we knew what the sticks did & knew why a plane did what it did -- but we still had to learn how to fly the nasty little critters from the outside. The odds of a successfull unsupervised first flight are every bit as bad for full scale pilots as they are for non-pilots.

One of my absolutely worst students was a Herc pilot who "knew how airplanes fly". Eventually his ego shrank to normal size & he then learned how to fly a model. Like most FS pilots, his subsrequent progress was accelerated -- but getting over that first hump was tough for him.

In my experience, it is the little video-game brats who have a real edge.
Agreed!