RCU Forums - View Single Post - AeroAce/X-Twin planes
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 01:47 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroAce/X-Twin planes

with SkyPix suggestion, this thread is for those who might want to start building their own planes for the Aero Ace/X-Twin electronics. with these electronics, you can build pretty much any 2 engine airplane with just a 3 view, a printer, some balsa, glue, and a little patience. in the other AA thread i posted a few of my other planes that i've made, but i'll repost them here too to give some ideas, as well as a couple sites for good 3 views.

pictures, from left to right:
1st one is a small version of a Voltair Flying Cube. this is one of the more interesting planes i've made, and definitely a crowd pleaser.
2nd is a Grokhovsky G-38 Light Cruiser, a WWII plane that never made it to production.
3rd is the well known P-38 Lightning, one of my favorite planes, and a good one to build for the AAs electronics.
4th is a mini version of ParkZones Stryker F-27, the stryker was the first plane i ever flew, back a couple years ago, and i'm still flying it. this one i had to make my own 3 view by taking a picture of the plane from above, then drawing the outline on computer and printing it out. it was hard to handle, but i crashed it too many times to get a chance to get it flying right.
5th picture is a Burt Rutan Pond Racer, very racy plane, love the lines. i havent gotten to try flying this one yet, that green foam is incredibly brittle, so the first flight might be its only flight.
6th picture isnt a plane actually, its a Ekranoplan, or WIG (wing in ground-effect), it basically floats on its own cushion of air a few inches off the ground.
7th picture is of the Wright Brothers airplane. this was originally a plastic FreeFlight kit that i bought, but it was far too heavy, so i made my own balsa frame for it and used the stock foam wings. Canard planes like this are tricky to get the CG right, it needs to be much further forward than normal.
8th picture is of a staggerwing biplane i made, first plane i made for the AAs electronics back in early August. it flew quite nicely and only weighed 11 grams.

all but the Cube were built from 3 views, so they can all be replicated. the cube isnt that hard to build either, and i'm in the process of making a new one now that looks a little cleaner and with yellow and red tissue paper instead of just white (i'll do a drawing of it so it can be built as well, its a fun flyer). the Pond Racer was one of the more difficult planes, simply because i had to carve the entire thing out of green foam. the green foam is terrible, so as soon as i get some Bluecor, i can start building a few others that i've been interested in (the XF5U-1)

nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39389.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	387417   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43591.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	387418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79213.jpg
Views:	70