RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1987 Expert Radio
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
iflidou
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1987 Expert Radio

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

Sorry iflidou, I can't agree with what you are saying about Expert radios being good. Back in the 80's, I sold radios from World Engines (Expert), Pro-Line, and Ace: it was no secret that the Expert radios were very unreliable. On the other hand, the Ace and Pro-Line radios were very reliable. I had so many complaints about the Expert radios that I had to quit selling them - couldn't take the chance of losing customers because of them. I even tried one myself, and it crapped out on the first flight of a brand new airplane. I threw that brand new radio in the junk pile and I have never been sorry for doing so. Sometime you win - sometime you lose. I tried the Expert radio myself, and I lost. I have to agree with Mr. Scale - in my opinion - they never made a good reliable Expert radio.

Better to get an up-to-date computerized radio than to spend good money on that thing.
I have to disagree with both of you. I have had at least a dozen of the radios and the only problems that I had with them were the gimbal supports. They cracked easily and had to be replaced. As far as reliability, I flew these radios (7 channel only) for almost 8 years and NEVER had even so much as a glitch or a hiccup.

To reply to Mr_Scale, i am sorry that the plane was lost and that it was due to (as you say) the transmitter. However, regular maintenance of radios is the responsibility of the flyer - not necessarily the manufacturer. I have known numerous individuals who have lost planes due to Futaba/JR/Hitec tx problems but those are the chances that we all take. It is my understanding that the company did not go out of business but was purchased by Hitec and Hitec decided not to continue the line of this product.

Anyway, have a good winter building!!!
IFLIdou