RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAI under siege
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FAI under siege

ORIGINAL: DocYates

I don't want to get into all of the politics of the recent FAI debate, but last year while I was trying to help secure funding to send the US team to the World Jet Masters in Hungary, there was very little support. There was no financial support from the AMA period. At that time there were some individuals who even told me that jet pilots could fund their own way to Hunagry, which for the most part they did. There were some very generous supporters including RTI, BVM, the JPO, the RC Jets Forum, and others who contributed to the large amount of money it took to send the pilots and their planes to Hungary, but the largest percentage of money came out of the pilot's pockets. Let's face it, if you are going to attend an international event such as this, it is going to cost the pilots. Some can afford it, others cannot, and that is where the fund raising comes in. Some are more creative and successful at it than others. I hate to see the AMA back one group and not another, when the whole premise for the AMA is to support all modelers. I am sure I will stir up a hornet's nest here, and may not even understand the whole debate, but if the AMA is about to uniformly enforce this policy it may not be a bad thing.
Flame me if you must, but I see it from both sides.
Tommy
No argument here. Fairness across the spectrum is the only thing that will bring harmony. IMO [sm=bananahead.gif]

.........but that wouldn't be much fun.