RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAI under siege
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:20 AM
DSLarkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAI under siege

last year while I was trying to help secure funding to send the US team to the World Jet Masters in Hungary, there was very little support. There was no financial support from the AMA period
I can understand this point of view. But the problem is that there is, as yet, no 'stand alone' category for jet competition in FAI World Champs events. If US modellers feel that there should be, then it is up to them to lobby the AMA to ensure that their reps to the FAI ensure that the FAI provides specifically for the jet flyer. While they are at it, they could work through Canadian jet flyers to have MAAC help. Until then, US jet models can compete, but only in the general R/C scale category and that of course, run them into some weight regulations which might be a problem.

When I was on the MAAC Board, I was certainly prepared to make an exception to the regular policy and support Canadian competitors competing in the World Jet event. Only trouble is that I believe our entrants went of their own volition and not after any team selection process. I'm not sure if that is true for the USA. I don't believe that a national organization should support competitors who simply want to go, but it is a different matter if a national team has been selected. Then one can make a good argument for support.