RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vintage ducted fan (1975)
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:17 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vintage ducted fan (1975)

subarurat:

I have to take exception to your generalization of turbine modelers. Your generalizations are so typical of Internet chatter with little basis in fact. Before I ever got into jets, I started asking questions and almost without exception I found jet modelers to be very open and willing to answer questions and talk about jets. I’m curious, have you ever gone to a jet meet and talk to any of the pilots? Where they rude or standoffish? Of course there a few turbine pilots with egos, just like any other facet of the hobby such as IMAC, pattern, scale, etc, but that doesn't mean that all modelers in that part of the hobby are that way.

The other Internet bit of wisdom is Bob Violett is very standoffish and doesn’t talk to anyone other than his close friends. I went to Fla 3 years ago and asked if I could tour his facility; they said fine and gave me the cook’s tour. As I was about to leave, Bob came out and talked jets to me for 20 minutes, answering every question and giving me some suggestions on how to get started. He knew I was there to look and not buy, but he still spent some time with me.

Another Internet theme is only rich guys can afford turbine’s, which is bull. I’m sure there are some modelers who cannot afford one, but the vast majority just doesn’t think it’s worth it. There’s no one on more of a budget than me, but I bought one two years ago. I got the money by not taking a vacation and getting paid instead of taking the time off. I used that money to buy a 2300. So it cost me 3 weeks of extra work that year to buy a turbine. Big deal!

I can’t afford a composite model, so I scratched built a FACET 2300. I got a plan set, foam wing cores and l/g from Kerry (before he offered the semi-kit). Half of the wood was from stuff laying around that we all accumulate, the rest I bought. I’ve got about $300 in the airframe. Of course you have to buy digital servos and such, but you’d have to buy those for any high performance model. I probably have about $3200 in the FACET, $2500 of which is the engine, so you can fly turbines on a budget, if you really want to.

Oh, I drive a 10 year old Sable station wagon, so there goes another Internet gem.

As for the Chinese lowering prices, well, we’ll see. Right now the JJ is a DIY project. If you like to tinker, it’s the engine for you. If you just want to go fly, look elsewhere. I’m not sure the market is much bigger than it is now to cause lower prices based on volume. I’ve never had anyone come up to me and say they’d get into turbines if they were cheaper. They like the technology but aren’t really interested in getting involved, but that’s just my experience, others may have had different comments.
BRG,
Jon