RCU Forums - View Single Post - AT-6 What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 AM
MarksLHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AT-6 What do you think?

Hi Shepp,
I think that you are going to be pleasantly surprised how well your T-6 flies. I own an Iron Bay (Byron) AT-6 with a PPG basecoat/clearcoat automotive finish. No it wasn't a present from my super wife, but I did not build it either. This airplane was also built by master builder,mechanical engineer and friend of mine Anthony Hallo. Tony built me a fantastic machine with the following. Engine, Zenoah G-62cc, swinging a zinger 22x10 prop at about 6700-6800 rpm. The weight is right in there at 33 to 35 lbs. I also have a Yellow Aircraft AT-6 on the bench and the dimensions of these two models is almost exact. I have 22 successful flights on it. I fly it at half throttle. it cruises along like it is on rails. You will be surprised at how stable it flies at slow speeds especially with flaps deployed. On landing I use full flap (about 45 degree) or 50%. I carry just a little power and hold her off as long as you can and it should set down nice and soft. If you try and land it to hot she will probably bounce on you. I have landed it faster two wheel landing but I prefer the slower approach, easier on the gear. Be prepared for a work out when you bring this bird to the field. After you wrestle with that airplane it starts to feel like 70lbs! Hope you don't have a bad back? BTW Great hangar. Those are some beautiful Christmas presents. Is the P-40 a Yellow Aircraft also? Funny thing I have a Yellow Aircraft P-40 looks just like your's, with the # 47 and the sharks teeth! It has a First Place 4.2 cu. in. I haven't flown it yet. Don't think I will be doing any slow fly bye's with gear and flaps down like with the Texan. This plane is heavy too. I didn't weigh it yet. How about yours? Has it flown? Have any tippers?

Regards.....

Mark