RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building the Mick Reeves Hawker Hunter

Been spending quite a bot of time recently in that endless cycle of fill, sand, prime, sand, repeat... gteting ready for paint. Eventually got there though, and I'm now within a day or so of being done with the colors. (just have to touch up some of the screw-ups that I made, such as spilling a mixing jar of green paint all over a previously finished aileron, dropping the stabs on the ground, etc. )

The paint scheme I used is based on the 43 Sqn Fighting cocks, who I had the honor of sharing a base at RAF Leuchars with for 3 years. I found several slightly different representations of the shceme, and ended up mixing & matching stuff that I liked. (That may not make it true to scale, but what the heck - this is a S***O scale scheme).

The roundels and the checkerboard along the fuselage side were printed vinyl from a company that recently popped up in this forum when someone brought up their "vinyl rivets". They did great work, very reasonable prices, and quick delivery. About the only non-perfect thing about them is that the backing paper on the vinyl was in some cases less strong than the adhesive, with small pieces of backing paper sticking to the vinyl when I peeled the back off. Easily enough fixed with a scalpel tho.

Other vinyl, such as registration numbers etc, I cut with my Roland Sticka machine, and this time I also decided to try using their paint mask material too - it did a great job.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76057.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	417144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30046.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	417145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83285.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.8 KB