Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

E-flite carbon z yak 54 build and fly

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E-flite carbon z yak 54 build and fly

Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 PM
griesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite carbon z yak 54 build and fly

Disclaimer: All the problems found so far I consider minor. This is the PNP version.
The plane was purchased for IMAC Basic practice so there will not be 3D flight information.
The part of the manual devoted to assembly is only 4 pages. This is not an Aeroworks manual
for sure. I took 4 hours but I am slow. I would like to hear if anyone makes it under 1 hour.
INSTALLING LANDING GEAR
A note says you can remove the landing gear fairings. If you can remove the fairings
then the wheel pants can go for the same reasons. However I found it necessary to add
slightly longer very small servo screws and 4-40 washers to hold on the fairing plates.
Also had to scrounge up 4 wheel collars to hold the wheels on. About less the 60 seconds
to get rid of the fairings and pants. About 30 minutes to figure out what to do and get parts.
INSTALLING WINGS
This is what should be done:
1. Turn plane upside down.
2. Insert wing tube
3. Install left wing gently pushing in until the wing bolt holes align.
4. Install left wing bolt.( I think the wing bolts are the ones where the thread goes only half way.
Do not use thread locker as it is plastic.
5. Very gently make sure the wing tube is fully in the left wing ( very important the right wing
may jamb).
6. Repeat 3,4 on right wing.
On mine there was an extra bolt for the wings and the horizontal tail. If the bolt falls out in flight
and the wing or part of the tail falls off you might or might not need the extra parts.
INSTALLING RUDDER
It kind of clicks into place. If you study it; it will be intuitive. Do not break anything as it looks
like some of the fittings are plastic.
INSTALLING HORIZONTAL TAIL ...............
Pretty much the same as the wings.
INSTALLING PUSHRODS
This is standard stuff. I am not in love with plastic clevis but went along with it.
INSTALLING THE FLIGHT BATTERY
I was inserting the small end of the velcro thru the hole then bending the small
end down the side of the battery. This is a very secure way to hold the batteries
in but takes forever to install and remove them. I am going to try placing the small
end on top of the big end without messing with the hole. Will report on this later.
CONTROL SURFACE TRAVEL
Set up everything according to the manual. Have not tried High Rate yet but after
one flight changed the aileron low rate down to 20% for the travel setting. This set up the
roll rate to about 300 - 400 degrees / second ; which should be pretty close to the real plane.
Everything else, for the low rate, was good to go.
TRIM FLIGHTS
Had to trim the elevator and ailerons a little. It was windier up high which made trimming
a little difficult.
WEIGHT and CG
I did not have any 2800mah 30C 4S batteries but did have a 2200mah 35C 4S and a
2200mah 40C 4S and a pair of 3300mah 30C 4S.
Weight with the 2200 mah batteries was 3.70 lbs. and 3.92 lbs with the 3300 mah ones.
This brackets the spec weight of 3.75 - 3.8 lbs. CG was 6.125 inches with the 2200's all the
way forwardand 6.25 inches with the 3300's an inch back (almost all the way ).
I ordered a 2650mah 40C 4S which is closer to the 309 gram BNF battery. Will report later.
VERTICAL CLIMBING
I did not verify the thrust to weight ratio of 2.0 but I am sure it is at least 1.7 with both battery
weights. This baby is going to be able to power out of a hover very well.
STALLS
With the CG forward it basically mushes forward, but sometimes it would fall off on one wing
but very very slowly. No sudden tip stalls with a forward CG.
LANDING
I would say it was easy to land fast or slow. Sometimes it would set down on one wheel
and stay there until a tiny tic of the aileron brought the other wheel down. No big deal,
but I have never had a plane that would do that.
GROUND HANDLING
Very good at the low rate rudder settings. I may increase the rudder travel a bit because I
did put it into the dirt when I misjudged a turn onto the taxi way. Paved runway at Tucson RC Club.
PROBLEM
After about a dozen hatch openings one magnet pulled out of the fuselage. Drilled three small
holes between the two existing holes; filled all 5 holes with hot glue and added a layer on top
and quickly pushed the magnet down into the goey mess and held it there while the glue solidified.
Added 4 pieces of clear tape on top of both magnets and keepers to reduce the force.
These are the strongest hatch magnets I have ever seen. Will later report how it works out.
BATTERY LIFE
I flew up to 9 minutes on the 3300's and 6 minutes on the 2200's doing one IMAC routine
and one touch and go etcetera. On four total flights I did not deplete any of the batteries.
In the shop it ran for 9.5 minutes before starting to shut down at 50% throttle with a 3300mah battery.
However cruising around only took about 40% throttle. More on this when I get a lot more than 4 flights
on it.
CAUTION
Do not get anywhere near the foam with a soldering gun or a heat gun. Bad things happen.
Do not change the connector on the speed controller without removing it from the plane.
PHOTO's
1. Top hatch - the left magnet is misplaced and attached to the hatch - right velcro tools
2. Bottom hatch - Optima 6 in nest - antenna mounted thru hatch cover - plenty of room in there.
3. On work bench - In back ground is a Bill Hempel Yak being assembled
ASSESSMENT
Quick and easy to put together and with only four flights it seems to fly very well. If you like the
T28 you are going to love the CZ Yak 54

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72458.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1535903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63861.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	1535904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11364.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	1535905  
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-flite carbon z yak 54 build and fly

Griesel,

Nice report, thanks for the information. I'm still considering one of these but an having a hard time coughing up the $300 for a foam plane. I do have a T28 as do many others at our field and everyone likes them, interesting you'd compare the CZ to the T28.

Keep the flight reports coming from the nice southwest weather.

6 degrees here this morning in Milwaukee...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 AM
griesel

2nd day, 3 flights.   Overlaying the velcro ends does not work.  The battery slides toward the tail.
Back to the original  of putting the small end thru the hole and looping back and down.  The 
landing gear is very good.  Had two 18 - 24 inch stalls ( with a loud whack ) and no damage at all.  
On other planes this would have required bending the landing gear back at the least.  Did some
inverted flying and inverted upline and it is nose heavy confirming the finger tip measurements.
Time to move the battery aft.  Maybe the receiver also.  It looks like 6 inches is the magic nmber.
Or maybe 5.75.  Stay tuned.  Tucson weather  at 10:40AM  temp 59.6 and climbing rapidly; mostly
clear skies and almost no wind.  What more could you ask for?  
Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM
griesel

Static thrust test plane w/battery weight = 59.25 ounces.
Battery 2.2ah 40C 4S Turnigy 60amp 92 ounces approx 960 watts thrust to weight 1.6
Battery 2.2ah 35C 4S Turnigy nanotech 55amp 87 ounces approx 880 watts thrust to weight 1.5
I am not sure what I did wrong but the result is not any where close to 2.0. The plane will accelerate
vertically at 0.5 to 0.6 g which is substantial. I had an electrostik with 999 watts and a thrust to weight ratio of 1.7.
This plane is about the same. So much for the nanotech hype, the discharge rate rules - bigger wires less
voltage drop.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
griesel

3rd day in warm Arizona. 5 flights. Tried hi rates today. OMG Insane. the roll rate was approx 1500 degrees/sec ( too fast to count ).
And too fast to come out in any known position. Elevator: it would point up 45 - 60 degrees and then snap. A little easier to follow.
I decided this was way too much for me and IMAC Basic So I moved the ailerons and elevator servo arms to the inboard hole
and left the rudder in the outboard hole. The HI rates were all left at 100% and the low rates were Ail 50%, El 48% and Rud 45%.
Travel for the low rates were Ail +/-11mm, El +/-14mm, Rud +/-30mm. Will try the HI rates again tomorrow.
This should increase and improve the stick resolution. The static thrust was a little lower due to an altitude of 3000 ft.
Can some one get a number near sea level on a cold day. Fun Fun Fun
Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Aircraftfreak15

Sounds like they fly well there was one in the barn when i was there picking up parts for a plane that i havent had much luck with. it was tempting but it is a big chunk of change to just jump into and i dont have ant 4s batterys so id have you buy some of them to and i fly up at the local park witch i dont know if there would be room for this plane.

Iam going to have to keep it in mind though i want a bigger plane to practice more 3d and IMAC stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM
griesel

4th day in warm Arizona. I heard a buzzing noise at low prop rpm yesterday and again this morning.
The prop was not loose and the spinner was ok. Found some motor mounting screws loose and
tightened them up. 2nd flight today same noise. Ran it up on the bench same noise. Discovered
the metal motor mount is cracked. Called Horizon and they are going to ship me a new one.
I do not know if it was just a bad part or a design flaw. Time will tell.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Freddy!

A lot of money for a foamy,3D hobbys look better.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screws coming loose could have caused the ount to crack.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
flynnaire
My Feedback: (24)

Can we get a picture this?
Has any one manage to get the spec on the motor yet?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Aircraftfreak15

the motor is the eflight 25 1000Kv.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
flynnaire

ORIGINAL: Aircraftfreak15

the motor is the eflight 25 1000Kv.
Yup pretty much got that info along with the rest of the world........... Been looking for the specs weight etc
for those that may choose to build a Yak from parts...
Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Aircraftfreak15

ok well dose this help then?

Bearings or Bushings: Ball bearings
RPM/Volt (Kv): 1000Kv
Resistance (Ri): .026 ohms
Idle Current (Io): 2.60A @ 20V
Continuous Current: 38A
Maximum Burst Current: 58A (15 sec)
Cells: 4S-6S Li-Po or 12-18 cells Ni-MH/Ni-Cd
Speed Control: 60A Pro Brushless ESC
Weight: 196 g (6.9 oz)
Overall Diameter: 35mm (1.40 in)
Shaft Diameter: 5mm (.20 in)
Overall Length: 56mm (2.20 in)

and here is the link to were i got the info.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4025H

yes i kow it says heli motor but it is the only 25 size 1000kv eflight has in production.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:46 AM
helicow

Not sure that is the correct one.

[link=http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL10080]Carbon-Z Yak 54 BNF[/link] has links for what the kit includes, one being the motor.

[link=http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM7300]BL25 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 1000 Kv [EFLM7300][/link]

The "heli" motor referenced is part number: EFLM4025H

No information is available for EFLM7300 on the link. , so the quest continues......

Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
flynnaire

Thanks, Helicow
I'm going to put this togehter buying just the pieces since I have a nice stock pile of HS-65mg servos and a wide collection of Extreme flight motors and esc.
Back to trial and error.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Freddy!

IN the new Model Aviation There is a E-Flite add on the carbon- z wing,is this the new of testing wings?A barbell end !
Old 12-29-2010, 02:45 PM
griesel

Here are some actual weights of parts:motor 199.7 grams;adapter and prop nut 18.0 grams;
spinner and bolt 6.3 grams;12X5.25 prop 22.8 grams; pilot and his glue 25.3 grams
The problem with the motor mount was it was too brittle.I have had other electric motor mounts
go thru crashes and bend.This one cracked thru all 4 motor mounting holes. Horizon very
quickly sent me another.Got the plane back together yesterday and flew this morning
Did a bunch of touch and goes and some IMAC sequences and it really does have the feel
of a big Yak. Did a stall; the nose and right wing came down together; into a 1.5 turn spin
recovered on the right heading. Sweet. Up elevator and she snapped into another spin
into the ground. My bad.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
griesel

Broke the 2nd motor mount. The metal is very brittle. If I contacted Horizon they would probably
send me another brittle one. Decided to make one. Using a drill press, several metal saws,
and an assortment of files I made one out of .125 aluminum stock. Flew the plane today and
no mount failures in 4 flights. The landing gear will give enough for a prop strike which you
hear a loud whack. At $6 a whack the props are kind of expensive. Flew quite a few stall
spins today with no problems. When coming out of the spin I waited a moment to allow
the plane to reach a good flying speed then eased on up elevator. I am learning and
this is the best plane to do this in. 18 flights; two motor mounts and one fuselage
replaced. The fuselage was $38 including tax at the lhs. How cheap is that!!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM
StormJunkie

Be very careful of the servos in this plane...I won't fly them ever again unless Eflite makes some serious improvements to them. Numerous reports of this causing the demise of many a Yak.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZtyY76jGA[/youtube]
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
q8cub

ORIGINAL: griesel

Broke the 2nd motor mount. The metal is very brittle. If I contacted Horizon they would probably
send me another brittle one. Decided to make one. Using a drill press, several metal saws,
and an assortment of files I made one out of .125 aluminum stock. Flew the plane today and
no mount failures in 4 flights. The landing gear will give enough for a prop strike which you
hear a loud whack. At $6 a whack the props are kind of expensive. Flew quite a few stall
spins today with no problems. When coming out of the spin I waited a moment to allow
the plane to reach a good flying speed then eased on up elevator. I am learning and
this is the best plane to do this in. 18 flights; two motor mounts and one fuselage
replaced. The fuselage was $38 including tax at the lhs. How cheap is that!!

For carbon-z strong engine mounts, check this site,

http://www.smallpartscnc.com/

Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
shame302
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Hacker 30-28S and 45 amp esc looking for a home. Any opinions on weather or not it would be enough for one of these pieced together? Any other suggestions? Looking at 3dhs 41" edge but leaning towards something foam or something that can take some abuse. Retiring a PE katana mini.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 PM
griesel

They only come PNP; Plug and PLAY or
BNF Bind and Fly. Both of which include
the motor and ESC. Check Horizon.com
For what comes with each version and
what is needed to fly one. It is a very well
matched set of hardware. Be advised
that this plane is close to a larger
aerobat which means it is a little more
difficult to fly.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
shame302
My Feedback: (2)

If you look up the parts list you will see that you can put the airframe together for about 120-ish.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Striker

Hi Guys,

Just returned from the Caribbean where I flew my first electric, a Park Zone Extra and had a blast with it. I am back now in NA and looking to get the E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak, but when I Googled it I found many people having tons of failure issues with this airplane.

I was surprised to see so little comments on the airplane here at RCU.

Can the guys who are currently flying this airplane please share some more of their thoughs and reviews, close to purchasing one but wanted to do some reaserrch and advice from some of the guys here.

Thanks.