Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need help setting up a plane

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Need help setting up a plane

Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help setting up a plane

I'm a car and truck guys as you guys have probally guessed by my sig, i have a heli but i haven't flown in a yearish a little less than, i have done some flying through a club at school and have spent a lot of time on the sim, so i'm not a terrible pilot, and i'd like something to mess around with and do some light 3d and just easy fun so i decided for fun i'm gunna build myself a plane based off of a great planes flat out, so i have some foam core and i'm gunna reinforce with some carbon rods and such, so my real hang up is, i'd like to go BL because just about all of my cars/trucks are and so is my heli, and so i'm just a lot of lost on what setup i should get looking to get something from either hobby king or hobbypartz.com just to keep costs down (trying to do the whole plane under $100 yay for college budgets) so if anybody would like to shed some light on what size (kv and can size and such) motor and prop i should be looking at, that'd be greatly aprecaited, i've done some looking and couldn't find much but i'm really clueless on like what prop for what setup and all..

thanks

the lug
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Beachcomber

Default RE: Need help setting up a plane

Welcome Lugnut. I also fly helis and planes (helis first), and find the 3D foamies to be sort of a cross between heli and plane. Like when doing hover (with the plane) and things like that.

Anyway, I'm not associated with the web site linked below, but have found it to be very useful in answering your questions. They are in Florida, and prices are just about as good as Hobby King (Hong Konk), so shipping is cheap.

You want to look for a "thrust" at least 1.5 times the total fly weight of your plane, and for 3D higher is better. But don't go overboard, because you'll be adding weight with a larger motor. Scroll down the page on the link, and look for thrust numbers for different props. For different motors, choose from the list at left side. I've had great success with the "Power Up" brand. Hope this helps.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail

Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Mysterious

I you want a really great, cheap, easy to build setup buy this......its what I bought last year to learn 3D, its awesome.... the only knock on it is I had to put on better landing gear, but that was like $5........

2x this plane (spare for ifu really smash it)
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...23&pid=V086484

Off Hobbyking buy:
Turnigy 2217 1050kv 23A Outrunner
TURNIGY 30amp Speed Controller
hxt900 servos
2x ZIPPY Flightmax 1300mAh 3S1P 20C
2x Rhino 1050mAh 3S1P 30C
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
rclugnut10

well i really was looking to build it by hand... i already have the foam core and some rod... so the electronic setup is what i was looking for, thanks, but if my build crashes and burns i shall definetally invest in one of those bad boys for sure

the lug
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

well i really was looking to build it by hand... i already have the foam core and some rod... so the electronic setup is what i was looking for, thanks, but if my build crashes and burns i shall definetally invest in one of those bad boys for sure

the lug

well the kit is just pre-cut foam so you still need to glue it all.........so buy 1 kit and template it out on your foam....then you'll have a backup ready.........or whatever have fun either way

Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

I always build my planes first so i know what size motor and ESC to power the plane with. I always use the same 2200mah 3s lipo batteries to make it easy. You will want to calculate the weight ready-to-fly, including the components you will be (buying)mounting(most electronics have specs listed so you can play around. Keep good records in a separate document with links to everything). Its a little bit of work, but you will be happier in the end when you know for sure which components to buy. If you are going for a 3D plane, you will need at least 150 watts per pound of plane. I run 375watts on a 3d plane that weighs 2.3 pounds(about 164 watts per pound). I have unlimited vertical at about 30 mph and nice hovers. Also make sure that the ESC you buy can cover the amps + 10. IE: If i have a motor that puts out 40a max burst, I will mount at least a 50A ESC. Usually, Ill get a 60A though to be safe. You dont want to fry your batteries prematurely. As far as props go, there is a chart that usually comes with the motors i buy that tells me the final outputs with different prop configurations. KV rating on the motors should be chosen for torque or high speed. The lower number, the more torque for 3D. The higher the number the more top speed for sport flying. Somewhere between 1000 and 1500kv is a good place to start for 3d flying... If I missed something, Ill answer that later....

Good luck!

Zim
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 PM
rclugnut10

thanks for the info i'll see about crunching some #'s and such as far as weight goes and all,

and to mysterious, if my first plane doesn't go so well thats probally what i'll do seeing as the kit is only $20 and all i have enough foam to do 2 planes if i'm smart about laying stuff out and all... i'll let you guys know how this goes once i get back home, at college now, and foam core is 3 hours away, makes the build a tad difficult 25 more days....

the lug
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Opps double post!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Real nice! Please let us know how it goes...

Define "foam core". I am wondering which type of foam. Stryra, EPP, EPS, FFF ???

I used the 1/2" Extruded Polystyrene from Owens Corning (Pink stuff) called foamular on my last plane. I moved out of the area and they only had Expanded Polystyrene (eps?). This stuff might not work. Has real big cells and it a tad flimsy compared to the Extruded.... Not going to sand very well, I can tell that before starting...

Anyway,

Have fun and good luck to ya!

Zim

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 AM
rclugnut10

not sure exactally what it's called other than foam core, i just know it's 2 layers of paper with some in the middle, i talked to a few ppl at school about what they've used and just the stuff you can get at craft stores is what they said, i'm going to be putting some 1mm carbon rods through it for strenght and such and have them as part of the alerion setups and such so i'm not super worried about strenght and it'll only be a 36" wing span and pretty light...

the lug
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Cool! The only support I used was a wood spar directly across the front of the L.E. The obvious trade off between this foam and the thin depron/fff is it is much more rigid. My type breaks easier, but needs less support. Glues up very nice, fast and easy when broken!!!!

Most important part though........ have fun!

Z
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
rclugnut10

ahh i was going to with with carbon rods maybe in the wings, (they're 1mm in dia) and then a bigger one 2 or 3mm on the LE... may do one down the centerline, if i do a 2 piece body idk yet... but the fun part i can do... and i'll probally post a build thread... or something

the lug