Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Completed my Big Banchee - Prop advice?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Completed my Big Banchee - Prop advice?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Foylee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completed my Big Banchee - Prop advice?

Hi guys,

In the end I opted for a 60A ESC with a big motor (cant remember specifically which)... Running a 4s 25C-35C 3800mAh lipo and HS82MG servos. The only electric prop I have at the mo is a 15x8 which is currently fitted. But I really need one with far less pitch for 3D stuff as the 15x8 is obviously more for speed rather than torque. As someone who is more used to IC models, I would be inclined to try something like a 15x4W but it seems that this size is not available as a lightweight electric prop. Would a 15x4W be suitable even if I used the heavier nitro version? Or would this be too much for the motor to use efficiently?

Any advice on a suitable prop for a 3D model this size and with this power pack would be great. Thanks a lot guys

Here is a pic for good measure!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Foylee

Default RE: Completed my Big Banchee - Prop advice?

Anyone at all got any thoughts on this?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 AM
V1nn1e

Not familiar with the model - what's the wingspan and how much does it weigh? Do you have an equivelent IC engine size rating for it?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Foylee

Fully loaded with battery etc it weighs around 1.9kg. Wingspan is 54". It does feel a little underpowered for 3D. It will prop hang and VERY slowly climb vertically on full throttle but it feels like the prop is not suited to the model. Not enough torque and too much pitch I think. Just not sure what would be better. I might try the 13x4W from one of my other models and see it it works.

Mike
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 AM
V1nn1e

Sounds similar to the spec of the E-Flite Eratix - I haven't got one but remember a review and he ran it on a 14x7e APC. Might be worth a try - difficult to be more specific without the motor power and Kv rating.

I know what you mean about pitch etc. for 3D electric vs. IC. I've not got much experience in 3D but most folks do seem to run higher pitch on electric models, where as with IC (my sort of size) most of the advice was to run 12.25/3.75w and 15x4w etc. Maybe it's just what's available (or not) from the manufacturers...?

My highly subjective experience comparing my PA Katana MD on a 12x6 with my .90 ic Edge on a 15x4w is that the Edge is much 'softer' and easier to control - less sensitive to throttle inputs. Would probably frustrate an experienced flyer but at the moment I'm finding it easier to Harrier with the Edge. Ofcourse, that may just be down to the difference in size and nothing to do with the prop Plus the Edge is definately a little underpowered. [&o]
Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I have a wing left over from one of these. I would like to reconstruct the plane...where did you get the plans?