Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need help picking 3D "wind" capable plane

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Need help picking 3D "wind" capable plane

Old 11-07-2003, 12:03 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking 3D "wind" capable plane

I am looking for suggestions from fliers who know of a good 3D capable plane/motor/battery setup.

Have had many weeks of wind around here so am looking for something that really will to decent 3d in some wind. Would like something about 45 to 50 inch wing span (so it will fit in my van without taking wing off) and probably bushless motor for duration and good vertical.

Many thanks,

Flierbk
Old 11-08-2003, 11:00 PM
rmh

Default RE: Need help picking 3D "wind" capable plane

stop looking at kits -
to do nothing but 3D-you don't need much wing area--but power loading must be very high--so use a smaller -lighter model .
Same thing in a gas model - go for huge power increase -to hold position.
a heavy model in wind --is worthless - so is an underpowered light model .
the lightest most powerfuls etup you can imagine -will be just right .
Old 11-09-2003, 12:11 AM
Bill Mixon

This is in the size range in your post. [link=http://www.gwmp.net/e3d/default.htm]E3D[/link]

As far as I know this is the most popular 3D electric in this size. Flies great, and does ok in wind. Brushless motor is needed if you want to hover.

Bill
Old 11-11-2003, 09:35 PM
rmh

If you are really serious about a windy weather flyer-and have to have plans - take any of the plans and reduce the size -at least chop down the span.
There are no "perfect plans out there -there are lots of em that work - Here is a set of plans :
300 square inches - 3-1 aspect ratio -11 ozs- using these parameters you can design your own plane - if you botch it - so what - make another - This is the perfect medium for experimentation - low cost and instant results and feedback.
best wing? elliptical -
Old 11-12-2003, 09:42 AM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

If you are interested in ARF's, I suggest you look at the many choices at NESail.com
To be less affected by wind, you need a higher wing loading than park flyers- around 16-18 oz/sq.ft. for the size plane you are thinking of. The "Virginia Belle" and "Accord" series might do well. If the wing load is too light for you, add heavier batteries. Good luck!

sammy
Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 AM
rmh

Low and slow - you can use higher wing loadings -but most importantly -you need far higher power loadings
These 3D models are not airliners which need to be heavily loaded to even out the bumps - they are acrobats -which need to be able to counteract wind drift.
adding weight is a no no - the models you mention , are already way too heavy for most good actrobatics - you need a wing loading of 4-5 oz per sq ft -
that is not a mis print.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:12 PM
sloanfs

Try this arf, it's about 4.5 oz wing loading and does great in the wind. I've done 20 mph drifting rudder drags with mine[link=http://hometown.aol.com/leadingedgerc/t.html]http://hometown.aol.com/leadingedgerc/t.html[/link]
Its a blast indoor too!!