Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best brushless/brush motors for 3D Flying

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Best brushless/brush motors for 3D Flying

Old 12-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Blackhawk3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best brushless/brush motors for 3D Flying

Which motor would be better for the Southern X2

Astro 010 10 turn with gws d gearbox and 12x6 prop
Astro 010 10 turn with gws c box and 11x4.7 prop

Himaxx 2015-4100 gws d gearbox and 12x6 prop

I like the Astro because it is American made but I don't know if it can keep up with the Himaxxs and Razors for power.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:01 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Where are you finding the Southern X2? I saw the video and want one but have never seen one advertised or anything about them.
basmntdweller
Old 12-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Blackhawk3D

www.funplanes.com Click on the order button and use paypal. I Have decided to get the Astro. Here are the numbers I got with Motocalc.

Himaxx 2015-4100
GWS DS gearbox 12x6 prop
26oz. static thrust
11amps

Astro 010 10 turn
GWS DS gearbox 12x6 prop
23-24oz static thrust
8AMPS

I know that the astro isn't as hot of a wind, but I still believe that this is a reasonable trade off for amp numbers. The plane only weighs 11oz AUW. If I don't like the performance I will switch to a C box. I will be using lipo batteries so getting the most power with the smallest amp numbers is the best thing to do. I think that the Astro is the better combo in this case.

EDITED 12-12-03
Old 12-12-2003, 11:36 AM
rmh

well -you just got moto calced-
Note the 3 amp difference?
In actual practice - on a thrust stand -reading actual thrust - not some WAG-- you will find that the increased thrust- in that thrust range (over 20 ozs on a small motor), comes at the cost of sizeable increases in input from the motor -which is output from the battery -
In the world of thrust -and props etc-- the prop output changes require a lot more power in - for a little more thrust output.
But your choice of motor is fine- just don't have a heart attack when you compare the calculated with the actual.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Blackhawk3D

Why? will it be that much less? Should I get the Himaxx or Just splurge and get the Razor? I want the best possible performance with the least amp numbers. I know that this is static and that it will unload in the air. Is it worth it to get the Himaxx/Razor for the extra thrust even though they are more amp hungry? WJ Birmingham, the owner of Parkflyer motors.com Suggested the astro to me over the Himaxx. I considered this a good suggestion because he sells both and gets a higher margin on the Himaxx. I am completely helpless when it comes to making my own descisions about something that costs a good sum of money. HELP! I need to know which motor combination would be better.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:57 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I may try that D box and 12-6 prop next time out on my Astro 10 turn. I've been running the C ratio and it works pretty well but I'm usually pushing the motor beyond it's rated limits at full throttle. The C box and 10-4.7 seem to work the best for general indoor flying on my 3DX.