Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Fancy Foam Models 300L

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:24 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fancy Foam Models 300L

I just got my Fancy Foam Models 300L in the air.

First flight was in 15 to 20 mph gusts, talk about a riot!

No bad problems, but, I found myself doing more recovering from the wind than flying and having fun.

I flew out 2 packs and decided that putting it away was the smart thing to do.

My scale weighs this bird at 13 oz. with the 830 mAh 3 cell pack. She's powered by a Hacker B20-15L and an 18 amp speed control, swings an 11x4.7 slow flier prop.

I was going to try to get some video, but I have no way of posting it, so why take the chance in this wind.

See ya,

Ken
Old 10-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Kickflipkid687

Default RE: Fancy Foam Models 300L

Hi,

I just got that same plane to! I got the Standard flight kit for 259 though. I had it for about 2 weeks, and smashed it. So I bought another replacement frame and finally got to fly it again tonight. It was awsome! I use just a 350 GWS brushed motor, 11 x 4.7 prop, electron 6 rx, pixie 20a esc, and hitec hs-55 servos. I know brushed motors arent that great, but im just begining at Rc flying, so I dont mind. Im going to buy some FF foam soon and cut out my own plane and glue my electronics from my extra 300L when it gets to beat up and see how that does. Then when christmas comes, get another esc, brushless motor, and all that stuff, then Put the good stuff on another plane and have 2 foamies to fly along with my Thawk RTF.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:05 PM
kennyandannie

Your going to love it when you go brushless. The performance is awesome!

These foamy's are a great way to learn new things.

Hope you have a blast,

Ken
Old 10-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Kickflipkid687

Yeah, I flew again today, and it was awsome! I had to adjust my ailerons though, and re-bend some wire because they hang to low and i think that caused it to want to climb all the time like it was doing. Because of using my radio with the flight simulator, I can now do rolls, inverted flying, inverted rolls, partially hover, do forward and regular loops, knife edge sometimes, and do other sweet stuff on my foamy. I might go fly again tonight if its not to windy, but right now it is. I could go fly my other plane maybe, since it can take alot more wind. I hope you have a good time flying your plane to! I didnt crash or break anything the last 2 flights, im so happy!
Old 10-03-2004, 05:25 PM
kennyandannie

Hey Kick,
I'm in the process of glueing my fuse back together, I was running out of battery and the wind was pushing me towards the biggest tree in my yard[X(], I let it go straight into the branches to minimize the damage and it settled right into the tree. No problem I thought, I landed it so soft it didn't even dent the wing that I could see. Me always thinking, like I do, I just taped a couple of sticks together and figured on just nudging it a little and I'll catch it on the way down. Well it didn't quite work the way I thought it would. It fell straight down, I threw the stick away and reached for the plane, just as it hit the fence hard on the wing. It snapped the fuse in four spots, glueing is under way.

It wasn't a good morning, but I'm not gonna let that get me down!!!!

Ken
Old 10-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Kickflipkid687

Man... that sucks... sorry to hear that. I had a worse incident then that. I was flying, it was the best day i ever had flying my foamy. ALl those flight times on the simulator really helped me out! I was doing all sorts of sweet tricks that I never tried in real life before. I attempted a Knife edge to low to the ground with not much practice on the sim before, and I messed up controling it, and smashed into the ground. I saw the prop go flying, and I knew my homemade prop saver worked. So, I figured the most I did was crack up the front of the fuslage like I did before.

But, I saw that I hit 1 brick out of the entire field somehow, and it totally smashed my fuslage. THe wing was hanging on my the servo wires, the CF rod to the motor block BENT, I cracked the motor mount block, prop my servo arm I was using for the prop saver, and did some other stuff. So I still have my foamy in the closet.. RIP, and I orderd a new replacement kit, and built it really fast this time, and right. Now I flew it twice, and it went perfect . Im not using the prop saver right now since the prop i have been using from before is stripping out, and I have to have it screw on like normal to use it. I dont want to waste a good prop. So i just screw it on, and if i crashed and snap it, then I will cut down my shaft, and use my prop saver again most likey. Or just leave the shaft as long... but... its probably better to cut it down then not. wow... alot of typing.[X(]
Old 10-04-2004, 06:44 AM
kennyandannie

I'm going to order another kit today, but I'm still going to finish gluing this one together. I'll keep flying this one until I learn to keep it in the air. I find myself taking a lot of chances because the kits are so cheap.

Too windy today to fly, I guess I'll have to get some work done.

See ya,

Ken
Old 10-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Kickflipkid687

Ken,

Ha, yea... i hate the wind.. I dont take alot of chances with my foamy. Even if it is only 35 bucks for the kit, I dont wanna have to wait like 5 days to get a new kit in the mail, then put i together. Im going to buy that FF foam next week I think, and try cutting out a plane. I already cut out some plans, but, I might take a cd to kinkos, and have them print out a full sized sheet for me. Then I can pin/tape it to the ff foam, and get a exacto knife and cut it all out. Then, I can try doing crazy stuff with the plane since its just foam I cut out, and can get from the store really cheap and easily. Plus, the foam comes in like 4 foot tall, by 20 feet long or something. So I can make like 5 or 6 planes out of it. I hope I can go flying today after school before I gotta go to work at 4.

see ya,

Matt
Old 10-04-2004, 01:20 PM
PortCityFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Order a box of depron from Depron USA. Cut and glue up a spare airframe. Paint airframe groovy colors while flying old battle wagon. When tired of battle wagon, try freeky manuvers too close to ground. Break wing during extreme aerobatic airshow for neighbors. Spend next evening retiring battle wagon and equipping beautiful new bird. Start process over. Money spent $10. Experience "priceless".
Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 PM
kennyandannie

Sounds like a plan Port.

Gotta do it!

Ken
Old 10-04-2004, 10:46 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Ordered mine today and looking forward to putting it together.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Kickflipkid687

Hmm... I like depron, but... is depron cheaper from that site, then getting a ton of FF foam from the local store? I like deprons look more, but id rahter have a plane to smash up and not look so good, then spend alot of time painting a depron one, then smashing it. I didnt get to fly today after school because of the wind. I could have went, but I didnt want to risk it. I hope I can fly 2morrow!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:49 AM
kennyandannie

I like the Depron for the stiffness in flying, but I also like the FF Foam for its ability to bounce back. FF is better for learning, Depron is better for extreme 3D flying, IMHO, although I can not do any extreme 3D, YET!!!

I think I will go out right now and fly my foamy before work!

Yeah! That's the ticket!

Ken
Old 10-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Kickflipkid687

HA, sounds good! Im going to buy FF foam instead of depron for now. Im just lerning 3D, and all I can do is hover for like 4 seconds, inverted flying, inverted rolls, rolls, loop, forward loop, and like spin in circles with the rudder, i think thats called a flat spin? Then I just do like half roll half loop, or reverse of that. I dont know what other tricks to try. But, when I cut out my FF plane, then I will try some extreme 3d, lol. I should really buy more electronics for that FF plane. But, if I do that, I will have to buy them over an amount of time, since I dont got that kinda money right now.