Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Flew my Tensor

Old 12-29-2004, 01:52 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew my Tensor

I flew the Tensor today, and what a ride. This is the easiest plane to hover I've ever flown. I put my CG at the aft recommended spot and went for it.

The flight seemed as long as any of my Shocky flights, so the 10.25 ounce plane is easily within the capability of the little Axi.

It does real cool inverted harriers. This plane truly does not know it's inverted. Just be careful which way you move the rudder in a turn. I almost smucked it with a rudder command.

Notice all that rudder to hold kinfe edge flight? I guess the Tensor doesn't know when it's in knife edge either...

It flew great, and was easy to fly much slower than the Shocky. When landing, I dragged the tail stick before I set it down, because it just wanted to keep going. Yes, I added a tail skid from a scrap piece of carbon rod.

The 3S LiPo, Axi 2208/34, and 10x4.7 is a potent combo on this plane. Pull out was better than expected. It didn't leap for the sky like the Shocky did, but it is also a few ounces heavier. I felt like I was hovering right around 1/2 power.

The Tensor is much more agile than the Tribute or Ultimate. Aileron response is much improved. Like a million percent improved! Rudder and elevator authority is super. This is a smokin' ride.

Camera credit goes to my seven year old daughter Rebecca. She stood out in the driveway and used our new digital camera. Not bad for a seven year old and an unfamiliar camera.

I also took some video. I'll see if any of it is usable after lunch...
Old 12-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Thunderhead

Default RE: Flew my Tensor

What battery are you using? Also what servos?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:33 PM
TailTwister

A Tanic 3S 830 mah. I used HS-553.

Here is how I mounted the Axi.

It is from Todd at http://home.comcast.net/~todd-hamilton/

For less than $6, it works good. There is a dot of silicon glue under the horizontal tabs to avoid tape. There is a carbon strip (included with the mount) on top and on bottom.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Tailtwister, I'm glad you like it, I will be using the almost identicle set-up when mine comes (should be today knock on wood). I have the Axi 2208/34, Phoenix 10, 3 Hitec HS55s, Berg 5, and 3S 830 Li Pos.

With the Hitecs were you able to get max throw on the surfaces?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
TailTwister

I'd like a little more elevator, but the plane is very responsive as it is. It doesn't POP into a wall, kinda rolls into it. Does that make sense? Waterfalls are about the same. Someone recently asked me if I'd change anything, and I said I didn't know. Now I guess I do!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Thunderhead

Im sorta a newbie on the whole foamie thing. But I've built an Ultimate out of blue cor and Im just not real satisfied with it.
I have the 2208/34 motor
jeti 8 advance speed controller
and a Kokam 1500 mah 3S Li-Po
hitec hs55's
I considered scrapping the plane and getting a Tensor, but was told that this was WAY too much (weight) for the Tensor. But isnt it about what your set up is?
Also was told this was too much weight for even a Raptor 3D.
Any opinons? Anyone?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

He meant the battery, get a smaller Apogee 830 3S pack.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
TailTwister

Thunderhead-
My Tanic 830 3S pack weighs about half what your Kokam does. That's a huge difference on a foamy. Other than that, your set up is just like mine. I like the 10x4.7 prop on this. Use the smallest receiver you can. Hitec Electron, Berg 5, Polk Seeker 6, JR 610, etc...

Here’s a couple more pics of upright harriers.

Does it look too heavy?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:59 PM
leblanc

I am very interested in this airplane. But I am wondering where we can buy a motor mount like that one in Canada. Do anyone of you guys know where?
Thanks LeBlanc
Old 12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
TailTwister

Todd won't ship to Canada? He's like a basement work dude, give him an e-mail and see if he will send one. It costs like $5 and he sent mine for $0.60 shipping. How much more could Canada be? It comes with the carbon strips, nylon screws, and the mount. I'd think you guys could work something out about shipping.

Mine is the 6mm pre-drilled. He also has a 3mm version for Shockys and some blank ones (not drilled) for different outrunners.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:07 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Same guy... e-mail him. He sent me 6 of them and I didn't get dinged for customs.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:08 PM
leblanc

Sorry I forgot to say that I don't have a axi 2208/34 I have a 2208/26. I make it run with a 9 x 4.7.
Will the plane still have a easy vertical climb or is it going to be too week and not be able to do all the good stunts.
I appreciate any of your imputs.
By the way with that engine I have 3 HS 50, A pheonix 10, a micro 4 ch receiver. But I am still needing a motor mount.
Thanks LeBlanc
Old 12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
TailTwister

I'm not familiar with the 2208/24 Axi. I'd guess a little less rpm, but I'd still try it on the 10x4.7.

I forwarded your message to Todd Alex. He will get back to you.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:04 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Where did you mount your battery??? Mine is right behind the motor on the "top".. I had to cut it all out just to fit my TP 860mah 3cell pack.....Your's looks a lot better, and fly's the same as mine, but LOOKS BETTER, lol. So where did you hide it?? Also what is you all up weight on it, I came out right at 9.8 ounces(new digital scale, the other scale said ten, and i didnt believe it!!!)
Nealio
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 PM
TailTwister

10.25 ounces. It's an old digital restaurant scale. I'm not sure how accurate it is anymore. The battery is just behind the motor, below the horizontal fuselage piece.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 AM
E*nealio

That makes since, since there is really no top or bottom, it would make sense to do that, more foam on the bottom and plus looks better. One more thing, how many amps can you pull from those 830 mah packs? Are they up to 12c??
Old 12-30-2004, 10:46 AM
TailTwister

10C to 12C "easy" according to Tanic. I've pulled 12 amps from them in a larger plane and a thirstier motor. 12 amps pulls pretty hard on the pack, but it did it. I guess an "not recommended" disclaimer should go here...
Old 12-30-2004, 12:53 PM
bdavison

I just finished building my Tensor 4D. It was alot easier than I thought. I figured all that bracing would be a real pain to put in, but it was a piece of cake. The only real trouble I had, was the carbon stiffener on the elevator was rubbing in the gap. I just trimmed out the gap a little, and it worked fine.

I gotta say this is one NICE kit. Much better kit than the shockflyers. I built it from top to bottom in a little under 4 hours. The biggest thing with this plane is making ABSOLUTLY positive that everything is level, straight and all your 90 degree angles are 90 degrees. I used E-flite's new Foam safe CA with Accelerator. Stuff works great, and the accelerator wont eat the paint on the plane. Its thick stuff, so while the accelerator will harden up the outside really fast, the inside of the CA will remain gooey until it cures. It would be better if it was thin stuff.

Im also using E-flite's new 20amp Sensorless Brushless Speed Control. Its supposed to automatically set itself for motor timing and voltage cutoff. Havent had a chance to fly it yet, but I think its gonna be awesome. As far as motors, Im going with a handwound brushless outrunner, and a Tanic 7.4V 1500mah HD battery.

Just holding the plane by the nose and pulling it in the air, this thing has LOTS of lift.

I cant wait to see it fly!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:02 AM
leblanc

Does flash glue burn melt or whatever you guys want to call it or does it just glue them pieces together?

Thanks
LeBlanc
Old 01-01-2005, 09:46 AM
bdavison

If you are referring to CA or cyanoacrylate glue. Its an acrylic resin. Whenever it hits water it polymerises. This is why its so adept at gluing your fingers together. The strong odor you get from CA glue is actually acetic acid being released by the curing process. Cyanoacrylate forms the same type of bond as epoxy. It flows into the gaps and profiles, then hardenes to form a bond. The only difference is that epoxy has a catalyst that reacts with the resin to form the bond, where CA uses existing moisture in the air, and moisture in the parts being glued as the catalyst. CA is fast, usually curing in a few minutes or so. There are accelerants that will speed up the curing process to as little as a few seconds, but do so at a trade off....strength.

Many people use CA on model airplanes because it forms solid bonds, is extremely light, and cures very fast. One of the best results of this is less building time.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Foamaholic

Got one flight on mine, made of fff to save the kit until I figure it out. What a plane. Don't have it tamed yet.
Himax 980 outrunner, Etec 3s 700, about 11 oz.
Anyone know where it's supposed to balance? How far back from leading edge?
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:57 PM
E*nealio

look in the last part of the instruction booklet
something like 2 1/4 in to 2 1/2 i think.....not sure, i have two red donts on the wing that remind me where it is !!!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Foamaholic

Thanks. My brother has the book so I'll try to get it from him.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:48 PM
E*nealio

Today I switched to a 9 by 3.8 prop and finally i can go full throttle without it cutting!! It's right under 8 amps at full throttle..............i feel a little safer when i hover right in front of me. I fixed my aileron situation by reinforcing it with a little balsa and going over the hinges with clear packing tape, I used a little epoxy to get the tape to stick to the balsa and wow, what a difference, now i get awesome aileron throws, anit torque rolls a lot quicker than it used to!!! Much stronger too, before this the ailerons were really bad(the tree encounter..lol!)
Well the batts are charging and waiting for the 1st flight of the new year!!!!!!!!!!!
Nealio
Old 01-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Foamaholic

Flew mine today and figured out to keep the wings level and turn with rudder only, then it's great.
Aileron turns are non-existant. it's made to knife edge. Fun plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.