Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Yak 55 EP set-uo

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Great Planes Yak 55 EP set-uo

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:44 PM
onrecess
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Yak 55 EP set-uo

I took a little drive up to Orlando yesterday. To crummy to fly here, and I thought I'd drop into Graves and gaze longingly at the planes. Well, temptation reached out and forced me to buy a GP Yak 55. Worse yet, somehow a bunch of other stuff ended up in my order! I got a GWS Pico rx, 3 GWS Naro servos, an E-flight 20 amp brushless speed control, a Himaxx 2812-0850 outrunner, 2 2s1p 1570 li-pos, and a couple of 12x 6 slow fly props. The electric flight counter guy seemed to know his stuff, and he said this set-up would be light and powerful. ( I plan on flying on the elementary school soccer/baseball field only and flying my Morris knife at the "real field.") Any idea how this set-up will fly? Seems like a 2 cell lipo will allow a more rear-ward cg for 3d, right? Will it be gutsy enough? I might start "building" it tomorrow after flying... Of course, the build involves sticking the wings on and the tail feathers. I see more set-up time than building. (Just the way I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh.)
Old 01-16-2005, 06:05 PM
bboykin

Default RE: Great Planes Yak 55 EP set-uo

took mt yak55 to airfield today it was too windy to think about getting out of vehicle also aboyt 40 degrees. only porblem i had with assembly was the control rods they didn't want to come closse to fitting went to lhs purchased gws rods and connectors and Z bender then everything fit this Z bender is great will use it a lot in the future. would like to know how your plane flies with stock motor.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:07 PM
bboykin

took my yak55 to airfield today it was too windy to think about getting out of vehicle also aboyt 40 degrees. only porblem i had with assembly was the control rods they didn't want to come closse to fitting went to lhs purchased gws rods and connectors and Z bender then everything fit this Z bender is great will use it a lot in the future. would like to know how your plane flies with stock motor.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:34 PM
onrecess
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not going to be able to fly it with the stock motor. I don't have a brushed speed control or a 3 cell lipo to fly it with. I have seen posts here or at rc groups were a guy flew the stock set-up with recommended lipo and it flew great and hovered/pulled out/recovered easily.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:08 PM
bboykin

have plane with 1500 li pol just waiting on istructor to fly it don't want to squash it before seeing it fly with large li po it want to pull out out my hand straight up.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:10 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

I bought the whole setup from Tower. Got everything but the plane. Should be here Tuesday. I wish I knew more about motors and gear boxes because I would love to be able to pick out a brushless/gear box combination that would work. I hate trying to rely on other peoples suggestions.

Any good sites out there that explain all this stuff?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: NOVAflier

I bought the whole setup from Tower. Got everything but the plane. Should be here Tuesday. I wish I knew more about motors and gear boxes because I would love to be able to pick out a brushless/gear box combination that would work. I hate trying to rely on other peoples suggestions.

Any good sites out there that explain all this stuff?
Do you know about rcgroups.com? Seems to be the best for 3D eletric info. I learned a lot from that site.

My first electric is the Raptor, with an AXI 2212/34. Only had one very short flight so far. As was mentioned on rcgroups the bipes don't seem to want to turn using only ailerons, not sure if I like that.

I have ordered a GP Yak 55. I plan to use the AXI 2212/34 with TP 1320 Lipo. I like not having to mess with a gearbox.

Malcolm
Old 01-23-2005, 04:48 PM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

If you go with just the AXI, you are going to have to chop up the front of he plane to keep the existing thrust line. I looked into going with an AXI and I didn't want to have to mutilate the front of the plane so I can keep the designed thrust line intact.

Would be interedted in seeing what you do..
Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 AM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: NOVAflier

If you go with just the AXI, you are going to have to chop up the front of he plane to keep the existing thrust line. I looked into going with an AXI and I didn't want to have to mutilate the front of the plane so I can keep the designed thrust line intact.

Would be interedted in seeing what you do..
I don't have the Yak yet (it's backordered in Canada), but from the pictures on the Great Planes it doesn't look like I will have to modify the plane much to keep the thrust line. Maybe hack a little off the top of the engine compartment to move the AXI up a bit. Of course the piece of wood that the stock engine hangs from would have to go, I plan on using a small plywood mount like on my Hobby Lobby Raptor bipe.

My mods will probably make the plane look a bit ugly but that's ok as long as it flies well. I'm hoping the Axi 2212 will be a bit lighter than the stock engine and gearbox. My AXI weighs 2 oz., plus a bit for the aluminum mount, anyone know what the stock engine plus gearbox weighs?

Anyone looking to save some weight should consider the Thunder Power 1320 3 cell lipo. They weigh 3 oz, about .7 oz less than the 1500 packs.

Malcolm