Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Fliton Quiet Storm build

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Fliton Quiet Storm build

Old 03-18-2005, 08:15 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fliton Quiet Storm build

I have not flown it yet. The winds here have not been cooperating. I had planned on test flying this past Wed. I had the camera guy already to go as well. 20 MPH winds Same thing the following day. On a good note though, the motor seems like it will be enough for the plane. At half throttle the plane wants to climb out of my hands.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
awat65

Still no go on the test flight, winds high again today. I guess I am going to have to get up early and go test fly the plane.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:06 AM
gjdeluca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the Himax 2812-0850 Outrunner motor on the Quiet Storm? If so, what lipo battery are you using and prop? How is the performance and run time? Thank you.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:30 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

What's the stock weight on the Quiet Storm? I really like that plane. Fliton makes some AWESOME stuff.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Ryguy

If I remember correctly, it's around 13.5 oz. empty nothing in it.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:07 PM
mavdriver
My Feedback: (14)

excellent keep up the good work
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 PM
awat65

I finally got a break from the winds and test flew the QS. I was impressed and would buy another one in a heart beat. The plane tracked like a pattern plane and had very good speed. I was amazed, it flew like a small pattern plane that is capable of 3D. I did some harrier rolls and a little hovering. Hovering was accomplished with my motor selection and prop at about 3/4 throttle and it pulled out fine. Not basllistic but pulled out good enough for me. This plane is definatly a winner. I used velcro to hold the speed controller down and small screws to hold the plastic parts down. Sorry guys it took such a long time to test fly, but everytime I got my camera guy ready to film, the winds were blowing 25-30mph. I brought it out today with no camera guy and just flew it. I will post video of the flight later as soon as I get them.

Tony Watkins
Old 04-02-2005, 03:21 PM
mblue2050
My Feedback: (6)

delete
Old 04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
mblue2050

delete
Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 AM
Billy Bunter

Hello Tony,

I was flying my Jumping Jack yesterday (its fourth flight) when one of the wing halves snapped at the fuselage root during a loop and resulted in the model being written off[&o][&o]. Inspecting the damage it appears that both balsa spars snapped at the interface with the root rib.

The above problem aside, I was well impressed with the performance of the Jumping Jack and am keen to get a similar but different (stronger) model as a replacement - I am wondering about the quiet storm....?

Basically my question is, how are the wings attached to the fuselage and do they have anything in them for the main spar that is stronger than a couple of 'waffer' thin balsa strips?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Nickolas

Hi,

Which version of the Jumping Jack did you have? The one I recently got has instructions on how to strengthen the wing spar with ply fillets that are included in the kit.

Here are some photos of mine I don't think I will have any problems with the spar it seems very solid to me with the new enhancement. I have not flown it yet though...

Set up:

Motor:AXI 2808/24
ESC:Jeti Advance Plus 30A
Batteries: KOKAM 2000 mAh (15C), Thuder Power 2100 mAh (12C)
Prop:Align Slow Fly 3D 11x4.7
Servos: Hi-Tec HS-55 all around
Receiver:JR 770S

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62900.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	284485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39801.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	284486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69287.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	284487  
Old 06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Billy Bunter

Nickolas,

I was not aware there are different versions.

I am also not sure how the spar could be strengthened to stop the failure I experienced - it failed inside the wing, where the spar joins the inner rib.

Can you tell me a little more about the strengthening of the spar and where the ply fillets are attached?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
mblue2050

If you read sime of threads on here you will find most everyone is beefing up where the wing spars join. I have a Quite Storm and did the same.
I have seen all sorts of ways to make the joint stronger. What I did and what I mostly read being done is adding wood to either one side or both sides of the wing spar where it joins inside the fuse. I suspect earlier in this thread but have not looked lately.

I expoxied a light ply piece cut to fit from side to side and the same heigth as the existing spars on the back and front side.
I also must add that I removed all the covering on the fuse sides where the wings connect and both are glued the entire surface. I glued small 1/4" x 1/4" wood peices with holes the same size as the dowels on the inside....basically making it impossible for the dowels to come out.

Some other things for the motor.

All of this might be over kill but I am over powered and knew I was going to set it up that way. I built it strong and addded very little overall weight.

It flies great and I fly it pretty aggresive but I watch myself. It is still an ARF and built very light.

Added plywood at the joiners and "plenty of epoxy" is direct quote from Fliton technical. Go there and read their suggestions.
http://www.fliton.com
Old 06-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Nickolas

The support piece included in the kit is extended to the 2nd rib of both wings....there is an extra insturction page inside the old manual that shows how to do that with ply pieces of wood included. I think this is the lightest and most bulletproof construction there is no point beefing the whole thing with extra wood or epoxy glue, it will come too heavy...

I hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Billy Bunter

Hello Nickolas,

Thanks for the rapid response.

It would appear that I had on 'old' version kit[&o][&o]. The modification you have described would have stopped the wing from failing, but they were not present in my model/instructions[:@].

In any event, I think I will give the Quiet Storm a try - comments anyone...?

Bill
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 AM
awat65

My QS has now been flown using the new Thunder power 1320mah 3cell battery packs with the cell balancer. They were brand new so the plane was flown for 8 minutes on each pack. My plane weighs 22 oz all up. The plane with the new batteries, now has much more vertical. It seems unlimited. I was using the older 2100mah packs at first. The plane had to be flown faster to land now with the new lighter packs, the plane can be landed at a crawl speed now.

Tony Watkins
Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 PM
CaptHal
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Guys,
My QS lasted about 10 seconds. turn to final on first flight. SNAP, main wing snapped in 2. I must have had old kit. No addendums, but added sandwich of main spar, lotsa epoxy. It broke just outside that. Toasted the fuse/lawn dart. No heavy g's just a turn. Sigh!
I really liked the looks of this guy.
I am going to talk to Fliton again to see what they say.
I had an AXI (don't remember which one) seemed anemic. Going to the Hacker next time.
Great comments here.

hal
Old 11-19-2005, 09:34 AM
dbflier

Sorry to hear about your QS, hal. My QS have been so modified (including also a wing doubler, see pic with arrow pointed at the doubler), thanks to the tips of our fellow QS'ers in the other forum, that so far, it has gone through every tough tricks, without any structural failure. All except onetime upon a not so perfectly landing... It must have hit a rough spot in our grass f'field that the landing gear mount broke. It was a clean break that gave me the chance to beef up the mount to fuse joint - added struss on all sides (under the mount-fuse joints) and CF reinforcements on the joints at the surface... It's now tough as nail and haven't had any problem ever since... Hope this helps. Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60025.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	356824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24440.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	356825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71280.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	356826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19062.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	356827  
Old 11-19-2005, 08:26 PM
CaptHal

Thanks Dan, It did and especially the pics.
If I get one back from Fliton I will do all those mods.
Fun to improve.
hal
Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 AM
CaptHal

Hi Guys,
Got a brand new free QS from Fliton just as they say. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!

I am now supporting the wing with an additional layer of Aircraft Ply into the wing. And loads of 3 hour Epoxy.
Took a day to cure and then some but not a lot more weight. I added plenty of strength with less weight.

Hal
Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

hey guys. does anyone know how i can get parts for it? i need to replace the pink cover on the bottom of the fuse in the nose area.

in flight it just came off and landed in a place where i was not able to recover it.

i tried their website but now phone numbers for customer service.

i've had this plane for about a year and a half now and it's overall a good plane but structurally very weak in many areas. you will at least need to beef up the area where the landing gear is attached to, otherwise unless you have a perfect landing everytime on a smooth surface it will break apart.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 AM
Dav0012

hmm i was thinking of buying one of these fliton electric aircraft, but every plane i have looked at, extra, QS, jumping jack all seem to have the same problem, weak wing spars, i think fliton need to do a little mods in there manufacturing...?
Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
tucson

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me how they attached the cowl and canopy to the QS?I am new to electrics and I am at a loss. I guess I could tape them But that might not look that good.

Thanks for any advice,
Stan
Old 09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
tucson

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me how they attached the cowl and canopy to the QS?I am new to electrics and I am at a loss. I guess I could tape them But that might not look that good.

Thanks for any advice,
Stan
Old 09-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Don McCullough

I used tape at first, a real hastle and found it took three pieces to assure it stayed on during knife edge (don't ask how I know ). Anyway, I taped out a 3/8" square area just in front of where the back of the canopy hits the turtledeck. I exposed the balsa and layed in some epoxy/figerglas fragments as a putty, put clear wrap over it and taped the canopy in place. When almost cured I removed the canopy and wrap, trimed the epoxy to the edge of the tape and had a perfect place to put in a #2 sheet metal screw (used one of the cool Du-Bro button-head screws). It just takes a few seconds to remove and the canopy has not even thought of leaving.

Don

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.