Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:32 PM
cap232flyer15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3D EP Anyone seen it yet?

The idea of multiple designs of the same nature can only be beneficial to the consumer. What I am talking about is choice. If you do not like the price of one product from one manufacturer just get it from the next one. Besides, what would have happened if the first person to come out with depron foam opposed all other alternatives as to what to do with it.....there wouldn't be a lot of foamies. But no one is complaining about different designs that are made out of depron are they? it's all how you put things in perspective.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:23 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I was disappointed to see the ucando foam break so easily.I am searching for a foamy and 3D foamy seems to have much better stuff.from what I have seen everyone is stiffening the planes with carbon fiber which obviously tells me stiff is good!!I was talking to a guy flying the shockflyers and didnt like the way the tail twisted during some manuvers..I was at the wram show watched a hovering demo and he landed what seemed soft and the rear fuse broke! just a little fix but I think I am realizing there aint no plane that is indestructible..but I am going to get a 3d plane anyway its a cool way to practice before flying my gas planes..I just have problem decifering engines and speed controllers..I am no electrican lol..

gp has traditionally done an excellent job but they are trying to cash in on the hottest new area but have to realize they are not putting out good stuff.oh well.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Choose the plane you want and everyone can tell you what motor, esc, battery to use. That way you will get great results.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Say I was to get the UCanDo3D EP, what setup would you guys go with? I might even go with the X2 or X3.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Merkaba

ORIGINAL: runover1

Looks incredible. I think they stole some ideas off of the Southern X2 that came out in Japan last year. Anyway I can't wait to get mine. It is definately at the right price on Tower. Finally, a 3D plane I can't be afraid of crashing.
Yea, I've been comparing it to the sx3 . Its one of the best things i've seen. so hopefully this U will be close to it. Since i think Im about to order one here in a day or too. Damn after reading this thread i might get the sx3. It would be about an extra hundred bucks though. the arf i saw was 89 or so without the motor. Thank god for universe and groups....or else i would surely blow up something. But i'm no electrician and can barely turn a wrench. So its good to have nice guys to ask that know about all this stuff and batteris and speed controllers,etc.

Any video out there of this thing flying????
Old 02-27-2005, 06:50 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Get a bundle of blue foam for about $35. and make a dozen 3-D foamies you can crash all you want. They fly just as well and are a lot cheaper. The trouble is nobody wants to make their own anymore. It only takes 10 minutes to cut out your own plane and then just glue it together like the 3-D foamy "kits" you buy for $35./$45. per and the plans are FREE!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:51 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

These guys have a lot of complaints, but what do you expect for 65.00!
Old 02-27-2005, 08:58 PM
grnd0
My Feedback: (4)

Why don't you buy one for that bargain $65. and give
us your opinion?

L
Old 02-27-2005, 11:06 PM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

well i dont know about you guys but $65 is a lot to spend if the plane is no good at what it is advertised to do. its marketed as a 3D plane and so far there are only negative reports from people who flew them. take your $65 plus li-po battery $45, charger $130, receiver and servos $90, and a speed controller $50. this is assuming your not going to put a brushless in it. i love great planes and i have 3 of thier kits im flying right now but if this plane sucks than everyone should have a right to know about it.

i would really like to see a video. EVOL
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Mike Wiz

What, there is one actual bad flight report and a bunch of others just jump in and bash! What's up with that? I didn't get mine finished over the weekend. I was just too busy. However, I did see a friend yesterday who built and flew his and he was very happy it. He said that he and Dave VonLinsowe (one of his good friends) were flying it and were pertty impressed. That's after they diagnosed that the silly thing had left thrust built into it and they made the correction. He's using a Eflight Park 400 and the GWS 6:1 gearbox. He said it hovered quite well, but that the tail section is a little too flexable for good knife edge. As I build mine, I'm going to add a CF carbon rib down the back of the tail section.

I'll get my plane done in the next evening or two and get a flight report posted here.

Wiz
Old 02-28-2005, 10:39 AM
EVOL

i am hopping this plane is good. i started the thread

i just dont want to waste $300+ doing it.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:04 PM
IXLR8
My Feedback: (55)

I bought one Thursday and flew it Sunday. First test flights were with the stock motor and a small NIMH battery, at 5000 feet. It was naturally quite underpowered but was pretty tough and seemed to fly OK with the limited amount of power. Smacked it in pretty hard on the nose once with no problems. Today I will go get a brushless for it and I think it will fly just fine. It will still be a soft foam plane, and I don't expect it to fly like a giant scale Edge or even a glow UCD, but for a little park flyer it should be ok. What I liked the most is how easy it went together. I spent about three hours building it and most of that was spent finding my radio gear.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
AcroJo

ORIGINAL: EVOL
well i dont know about you guys but $65 is a lot to spend if the plane is no good at what it is advertised to do. its marketed as a 3D plane and so far there are only negative reports from people who flew them. take your $65 plus li-po battery $45, charger $130, receiver and servos $90, and a speed controller $50. this is assuming your not going to put a brushless in it. i love great planes and i have 3 of thier kits im flying right now but if this plane sucks than everyone should have a right to know about it.
i would really like to see a video. EVOL
$65.00 is considerable, but you can't figure in the cost of the gear, as it will work in any other plane.

As far as evaluations go, I think peoples opinions must be taken with a grain of salt. The common scenario is, buy a kit, dump the box, assemble it and fly. IT FLIES LIKE CRAP!!!!!!!!! I will maiden a plane for the first dozen flights. Fly, observe and tweak it untill its right. Then you get the quality issue, it hit the ground and broke. ITS A PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!! If you smack the ground then you deserve to spend a little time and glue to fix it. THE LANDING GEAR SUCKS!!!!! Simple solution, learn how to land. If you can't float in a couple ounces of foam without damage, then hand the box to someone that can. Is there really only a handfull of consumers out there that realize we are dealing with foam here? To those of you that understand what I'm talking about, I apologise for the rant. Joe
Old 03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
EVOL

cumn thru i know what you are talking about. im a little discouraged with electric at the moment because out 5 planes i built i really only enjoy one (slow stick). i am a glow flyer but i love the idea of walking 2 blocks to the parking lot by my house and flying for 15min. i would like an electric plane that looks somewhat like a real plane (no profile foamy) that is also maneuverable. i have the U-Can-Do 3D 60 and it is great.......still hoping the EP version is as well. i am afraid to make the investment for another piece of foam that doesnt fly.

thats why we have this forum. i know you cant trust a lot of what is said on here but you can get a feel. if i would have listened to the opions of others i wouldnt have half the planes i have now. like i said, i have 3 kits right now in my hanger that are all Great Planes kits and i love every one of them. but that doesnt mean that a 3D foam plane is going to be great as well.

i would really like to see a video. or pics of one flying if anyone has them?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Mike Wiz

ORIGINAL: EVOL

i would really like to see a video. or pics of one flying if anyone has them?

Have alook here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=41

No. That's not me or my plane. But it looks to fly pretty good.

Wiz
Old 03-01-2005, 03:53 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Video doesn't look too bad, but I wonder why they changed planes in the middle of it?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Mike Wiz

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

Video doesn't look too bad, but I wonder why they changed planes in the middle of it?
I don't think the vid was suppose to be about the plane, but rather a couple of guys horseing around with a basketball hoop.
None the less, what little you can see of the UCDe looks pretty good.

Wiz
Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

The RC Groups site also says
he says it flexes like hell, but is very durable..
Do a little reading on that site it sounds very familiar to me
No ringing endorsements there.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:12 PM
IXLR8
My Feedback: (55)

I got the right battery for mine a LI-po 1500 and it flies pretty well. For now I left the stock system in and it does what I would expect. It is a foam plane for 65$ so maybe my expetations are low but I would buy it again. I am not expecting it to fly like a 50% Edge but it is relatively quick and flies pretty well in a small park, can handle some wind, and crash landings in trees after dark.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:52 PM
AcroJo

I've been flying the .60 UCD for two years now, on my fourth and I just couldn't help but smile when I picked up this little box of EPP and headed to checkout at the LHS today. I'm still grinning. 1st plus, prehinged rudder W/ pinned hinges, beveled and slotted control surfaces. #2, the rod and pivot design for the elevator. This idea has been rolling around in my head for a while and will now get to see the results in all its simplicity. Hinge and stiffener all in one, interesting. #3, the ailerons, elevator halves and rudder are laminated in a clear sticky backed, tape like substance that really stiffens up those pieces. Having built 3 dimensional models from thin EPP, my expectations are realistic and am really looking forward to the build and test flights. Without purchasing a new set up for this, right now, at my disposal is as follows:

Himax outrunner 2812-0850 - 2 oz.
APC SF 11/4.7 or 11/3.8 W/ wobbly prop adaptor - .4 oz.
Electron 6 RX - .6 oz.
CC 25 - .8 oz.
4 - HS 55s - .8 oz.
TP 1320 3 cell - 3.2 oz.
Plane - 4.4 oz.
Hwde. - .2 oz.
Total - 11.6 oz.

Now if it will go together with just one ounce of glue...........

So far I've read one report that it has trouble holding KE, so does its big glo brother. Nothing that a rudder mod and elevator mix won't cure. I will post my findings.

Dream setup: CD rom, CC 10, ultra light RX, 3 cell 340 LiPo and 4-Blue Arrow servos @ 3.4 grams each would yeild a total AUW of under 9 oz. But that would take mo money! Joe
Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

LOL...This is the first. the wife seen this plane and she said buy 2 whooo hoooo
Old 03-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Todd L.
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: bodymann

LOL...This is the first. the wife seen this plane and she said buy 2 whooo hoooo

OMG Hell has frozen over..... You need it tho LMAO!!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:06 PM
EVOL

is it just me or does that sound like a brushless motor in the video? im hoping that was a stock set up........can anyone else tell by listening? EVOL
Old 03-04-2005, 06:18 PM
AcroJo

Made my decision. I'm going light. It will set me back another week providing the Littlescreamer arrives on time.

Heres the specs:
Plane, 4.4 oz.
Hwde, .2 oz.
Littlescreamer, .8 oz.
720mAh 3 cell LiPo, 1.6 oz
cc 10, .4 oz.
Electron 6 without case, .4 oz.
GWS 8/4 HD with wobbly adaptor, .2 oz.
4 Blue Arrow servos, .4 oz

Again a conservative estimate of 1 oz. glue.
Forgot about servo ext. and velcro. Even if they are another 1oz. it still puts it @ 10 oz. AUW. This stuff always looks good on paper, we will see. Joe
Old 03-05-2005, 02:29 AM
JamesF

Is .4 oz. the gross weight of all your servos, or is it 1.6 oz? I heard the max recommended weight for the Screamers is 10 oz. If your overall weight is pushing 12 oz, then?? Great if you can get it to perform well with your intended lightweight setup. Can't wait for your impressions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.