Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Hey

How are you guys doing. Has anybody run the Hacker A-20 or 22L motor in the yak. This is what iam planning to use and i am going to use 3s 1320 Lipos. I am debating between the Hacker and the Axi motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Scott
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Get Real

ORIGINAL: spec36

is the byp yak the same one that is in the video of angelo lomeli on vpp tread? and how much does it weight ? the yak54f is my most flew plane i have about 155 hours in the last few months and about six of the yak54f .. now they last a lot longer. (my radio keeps time most do now ) have went from lucky to bring it back to rocking all on this foamie and able to do it with my glow stuff now .. is there a way to do vpp on the yak54f or is it to heavy mine is 14.4 oz thanks for any help on the two? ps now i will go back to page one to read what i missed out on probably find the answer to my questions ..
he was flying the new byp yak with a vpp set up at efest in febuary. i posted some pics on a previous page of the byp yak. i ended up picking up another yak about a month ago.. set up was 400 920 kv outrunner with 11x4.7 sf prop and tp 1320. nice power and run time. currently i have the light set up.. 370 1080kv outrunner with a 10x4.7sf prop with tp 730 pack. i'll post results when the weathers better and i can fly it.. with some reinforcing on fuselage and a tail wheel its in the 12 ounce range. also picked up the ultimate fx 3D.. another floater. heres a video with my planes http://media.putfile.com/Just-Fly i'll post some video of yak when i can. id really like to see more videos in the forums of various set ups of planes... especially Tmans set ups. thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Get Real

flew the yak today.. even at 6:30am the winds tossed it around out here. ultimate got tossed around to. the lighter set up in yak does float better.. it also gets tossed around even more in windy conditions. ill try it again with less wind before i take out gear/now i have what i need for the byp yak if i go back to 400 outrunner and 1320s . ive been flying the foamies in a much smaller area with trees and some power lines and had to land in grass or side walk today.. i landed the ultimate on the sidewalk. i ended up landing yak in grass.. tore off the depron pants on one side. i decided id go with bigger wheels for grass landings and my typhoon gear fits well so im gonna keep that on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93967.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	453671  
Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
jrobert59

Since there have been some recent posts on this plane I thought I would chime in. I have the E-flite Yak and it's OK but I do have some problems with it.

The main issue is getting the CG correct. Because of the landing gear slot and the aileron servo the battery pack either has to be too far forward or too far back. When the battery is in the rearward position behind the aileron servo the plane actually climbs when inverted. When the battery is in the front compartment I think it's pretty difficult to do 3D.

I know some have built a platform over the aileron servo to place the battery pack in that position. I guess I'm just not that industrious and I fly my other planes more often (like the Airfoilz Yak). Another issue is the roll rate is fairly slow. Probably because of just one aileron servo. Again, not a bad plane but I think there are better designed planes out there that fly well out of the box.

Finally, the plane is pretty stiff in the air but is pretty fragile when transporting around. I've cracked the fuselage a few times just from carrying the plane.

If anyone has found some solutions to these issues I would be happy to hear them.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:22 PM
TManiaci
My Feedback: (6)

JRoberts,

We went thru 5 Yaks.... you are right, they are frail.

The aileron roll rate... definitly not enough servo torque with one 15 in-oz servo. We went to dual HS-55 aileron servos... total transformation into a corkscrew from h3ll. Those surfaces are way too big for a single servo to drive.

CG: We hated the pull-pull hardware, and converted to CF pushrods. In doing that, we moved the Rudder Servo over to the side opposite the Elevator servo, and back about even with the ele servo. Pushed the CG back so that you had good balance with the battery in the forward compartment.

Durability... we did MANY things trying to make it better. CF sheeting on the control surface connection areas. CF flat strips along the fuse bottom, around the battery compartment and up around the motor mount. Packing Tape on fuse walls, better horns, pinned hinges all around, and many other minor improvements that all made it better, but all at the expense of added weight.

Name:	Bz78441.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	454644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28140.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	454645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87466.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	454646  
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Get Real

JRoberts/ no need to build a special platform/i also had cg issues but didnt mind it tail heavy at first. if you cut the battery compartment cover you have plenty of area for a battery shelf so to speak.. just add velcro and reinforce bottom with packing tape.. i know i was never to found of the stuff but it does give depron or just about any other foam a ton more strength. i also use a velcro strap.. there availble at electronics and computer stores and at home depot. well i got 3 flights in with yak today.. and 3 with ultimate thats a lot of flying for me in one day... two trips though. the lighter set up was nice in little to no wind.. i rarely fly in those types of conditions.. so i went back to 400 outrunner and 1320 pack. i'll use the lighter gear for byp yak when its out. the ultimate is a little heavier with the same set up but is just as much fun to fly.. if you have not seen one in person theres a thin skin on wings and tail surface.. its more rigid than depron alone. now if e-flite would come out with a brio and edge 540 depron plane with full fuselage like the ultimate fx that would be really nice... HINT. i picked up the polycharge 4 recently and some more batterys so i should be able to get some qaulity flying in when i have time to fly. also been trying different gear options on yak for less than perfect grass.. small twigs ruts etc. now im using 3 inch mpi wheels.. not as pretty but roll well over the battlefield ive been flying at with the foamys .

Name:	Hf99302.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	454685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35410.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	454686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96104.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	454687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33856.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	454688  
Old 05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
shesha

Hi, just something I am facing with this kit, any help would be apprieciated.

1- First of all, the prop I ordered is the eflite prop, refering back to the manual it mentions to use the stock outrunner prop adaptor that came with the outrunner 400 brushless, in doing so the shaft of the adaptor does not fit the prop opening of the eflite 11x4.7 , I would like reconfirm to opening the hole in the prop if thats correct since it seems to be setup for the gear driven and taken into consideration the diameter of the prop opening that is required it seems that it would some what make the prop more prone to flexibility from the diameter opening resulting in breakage. The
APC similar prop has the correct opening.

2- When mounting the outrunner gearless 400 on the built in firewall of the yak54, there is no mention of anything to install, but just the motor to the pine wood firewall and 2 screws, please confirm if thats correct and that there is nothing in between the outrunner and the pine firewall, like the engine mount that came with the outrunner. Black Metal piece.

3- After installing the outrunner 400 on the pine wood directly, looking down onto the centerline of the engine opening you can see that the outrunner shaft is offset with right down thrust to a certain degree, more then one would expect from a foam gearless setup. I am comparing this with the greatplanes flatout foam planes such as the reflection and the turmoil with the brushless gearless setup rimfire. Kindly advise if there is supposed to be right down thrust on this combination and to what degree if possible.

4- The outrunner 400 standard prop adaptor does not hold the outrunner 400 motor shaft when tightening the prop nut, thats after following the instructions in reversing the shaft of the outrunner as per the instrcutions manual on page 22, step 5. I also noticed because of the point I mentioned in question 3 above the prop adaptor is touching the pine wood firewall.

5- Page 27 the manual says to install a foam doubler for the battery pack if it is installed in the front, there is no mention of installing a doubler if installed in the middle of the plane please confirm if it is necessary.

6- Page 28 the picture shows the doubler on the right side and the battery on the left side, the doubler is supposed to be used for holding the battery or to reinforce the area ?

Any help would be apprieciated.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

How are you guys doing. I have a couple of questions. First of all iam using Hacker A-20 L and i am running TP 1320 3 C batteries on my yak. Were are you guys mounting your batteries. I know were it says to put the doubler for the battery. Unfornatuely i have not found a wide enough spot in the fuesalage to put this battery.

Also has anybody found a good setup as far as props are concerned with using the hacker motor. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Kansas-Prairie

God i hope i dont get flamed.

Would anyone on RCU have a Yak they woud want to sell ready to fly. I cant find one in the sell forum and believe this or not, i just dont have the time to build one.

So who wants my $$$$$$$$$$4

Thanks for any help
Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 PM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Was wondering if I could get some help .... I have the Yak and the following setup:

CC 25 ESC
Himax 2015-4100 inrunner
Etec 1200 mah (8C)

My motor and packs have 100's of flights on them and I am lacking verticle when I fly the YAK.
Is this because of battery age, 8C rating of the battery, or the motor age. I had it in a FoamyFactory Ultimate before this and it was great (2 oz heavier) but started to fade in performance in htat plane too.

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

ok i pull the trigger today on this beast in the hobby shop.

I have the outrunner 400 motor and the instructions to mount this have me lost. Can you all post some pic of what I need to accomplish?

what is everyone using to check the battery voltage?

do i fly until i run out of power or just what?

1st electric here

tks

Gerald
Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 PM
HoverLoW

Hello!!

Please, can somebody tell me good news about this combo for my YAK?

AXI 2212/26 SILVER
JETI Advance PLUS 12A
Tower Pro 9g servos
Hitec Electron 6CH
THUNDER POWER 11.1V/1320mha
APC prop 10x3.8
Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
HoverLoW

Please, guys... I need some help...
Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Swazzi2000
My Feedback: (4)

Just thought i'd post some pictures of my first Yak 54F!!! Its an awesome flying plane and thanks to everyone on this thread i built my first one STRONG!!!

Name:	Sq48201.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	891586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23976.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	891587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56841.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.8 KB