Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

MINI FUNTANA POWER SETUP?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

MINI FUNTANA POWER SETUP?

Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
dizzane
My Feedback: (140)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MINI FUNTANA POWER SETUP?

ok, I am new to EP flight, I have a mini funtana with an AXI 2808/24 with a phoniex 25 speed controller, with some 3s 2100mah lipos.
I am not to happy right now, everythime I get it ready to fly ( I had to buld a new one do to this) ar the first time I flew it it flys great and lots of power for a few minutes and then it shuts down, so I tried to check it out tonight by running it in the yard (not flying). After a few minutes it shut down, I know that if the speed control get hot it will shut down, but I am not running it full throttle all of the time. I am spinning a 10x3.8 apc, this is the setup that I have seen other guys useing so what am I doing wrong? I am about to give up gurr. please help, I love this plane even if it doesn't fly.
Thanks
Duane
Old 08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: MINI FUNTANA POWER SETUP?

prop seems too small to me... I run it on a 14-16oz foamy, seems like it would have trouble pulling the MF around... but I don't see that causing problems, unless over-revving creates problems with the esc? i'm not sure...

are your batteries getting a full charge?

next time see if your esc/motor/battery are heating up...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:59 PM
dizzane

yeah that batt.s are fully charged, the motor and controller are geting hot.
duane
Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I converted mine to an AXi 2808/24...
I have an APC 10X5E prop on it, w/ a Kokam 2000 3cell, and an E-flite 20A esc.

I made sure that the openings of the esc are right behind an air inlet on the left side of the cowl, so it gets air flow through it.
I'm pulling 23.5A. (for bursts only ) on a fully charged batt. and I don't use full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time, and only while in flight to insure adequite air flow.

So far so good...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Devin McGrath

I have an AXI 2808/24 jeti 30 amp and an 11x5.5e APC prop. I used to have the same problem it would cut out part way through the flight so I moved the esc to the bottom of the fues by just adding in some balsa ironing the covering down to it and cutting out the covering for a space for the wires to go though on both sides and the problem is solved. I think your esc is over heating mine draws 32 amps at WOT on the ground but it is ballistic in the air when you want it to be
Old 08-17-2005, 11:59 PM
richohealey

whoa! way too small prop. i am using a GWS 10x4.7 on a motor roughly equivalent to a AXI 2208 (or maybe 2212, it's some wierd taiwanese job. cheap though )
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 AM
dizzane

I have also use the 11x3.7 prop. what size should I use?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

The slow flyer props pull a lot more current than the thin E props...
The 2808/24 is rated for 22A. max. for 60 seconds and I'm seeing 23.5 on a fully charged 2000mah 3 cell and APC 10X5E which is just about right IMO.

Some guys will push their equipment harder than I do...I like to have my stuff stick around for a while...choice is yours

Mine flys much better with the AXi 2808/24 than it did w/ the park 400/4200 and stock gbx and 12x6SF E flite prop. I like the additional 1" prop to ground clearance w/ the stock gear...

Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 AM
dizzane

thanks for the help, I will stop by the hobby shop and give that prop a try, what are you geting as far as flight times with that prop?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Devin McGrath

The motor on my Mini Funtana hardly gets worm after a full 10-15 min and there are allot of people running the 11x5.5e prop over on the E-Zone that is why I went with that prop I don't believe I am really hurting the motor by using this prop. but you are right the choice is yours. and it is posible that it is shortening the life of the motor
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Troy Newman

Dizzane,

With Electric models its very important to understand how the motors, controllers and props work. An electric motor will try to turn the same rpm no matter what prop you stick on it. This will not happen of course due to the loads the prop put on the motors but in theory they try to run the same rpms, and they will be close. A larger prop will draw more current and this means more heating. A smaller prop will draw less current and mean less heating.

This is of course a very general rule of thumb. Some of the advice you have gotten is good to try and cool the controller better. What you need to find out is what current is the motor drawing. If the motor has a problem then it can draw lots more current than another guys setup. The current your electric setup is using is like a tach reading ona glow motor. You know if it was running at 12,000rpm with that prop on that % of nitro with that glow plug all is well. But when its only getting 9000 on the same setup something is going wrong. In the electric motors we are using lots can happen to them from manufacturer defects (while rare) they can happen. Also something could be up with your controller. If you knew the amps you are pulling in your setup you could have this benchmark. Example if its pulling 30amps then you know that your speed controller is not big enough for this setup as its only rated at 25.

I am not familiar with the AXi 2808 but I have a couple of 2208's and they have been very good little motors. I have seen in both larger electric motors and small foamy stuff where the motor got too hot and did what call a "De-Mag" where the magnets partially de magnatized and now the motor is not operating correctly. A current reading will tell you this. Because on a friends larger Hacker setup he went from 65amps to over 85amps and was burning up speed controllers. Well the controller was rated at 77amps he wa running 85. This happened froma lack of cooling and running the system too long.

For the most part we over abuse our equipment. I'm not saying you have in your case...But perhaps the motor is getting hot, the controller is getting hot. Perhaps you have some of the current limiting options set in your controller that are causing it to stop. My experience with the small AXI motors and the Castle controller has been excellent. They are both good products. Perhaps something is wrong with yours at the momement.
Long post but Astro Flight makes a Whatt meter and E-Flite has a power meter they are a few bucks but are worth getting or borrowing froma friend to test your current draw. Maybe you have a bad solder joint...Lots can happen that are invisible to the eye with these electric powered models. You need a benchmark...

I know this doesn't solve your problem but hopefully it gives you some direction to look.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
dizzane

I just want to say thanks for all your help guys. I hooked the esc to the USB programer and reset all the setting and moved the esc into the cowling. I took her out tonight and all I have to say is WOW this setup up is awsome. I flew her for about 15 min. and still have about 40% of the battery left. If I didn't have to eat, I would still be out flying. I have to say this plane is as much fun a a foamy but flies like my larger gassers. Again thanks for everyones help, this forum has been the best tool.
Duane
Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I've got a pjs outrunner on my mini funtana with a 30 amp jeti esc and I'm using 2000 mah kokam batteries. I had a 11-4.7 prop on it and it was drawing 32 amps at full throttle. I dropped down in prop size to a 10-5 and my amp draw is down to 24 amps. I was only getting about 7 min. flights before. I have'nt flown it since I made the change on the prop but I sure hope to get longer flights now. What I would like to know from everyone is will I be able to hover with this 10-5 prop? I would like to use a bigger one but I can't with this outrunner and I might buy a new motor if thats what it takes but would rather not. Thanks to all who answer.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Devin McGrath

Glad to hear everything worked out Duane