Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Mini Funtana with a JGF 450XT motor

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Mini Funtana with a JGF 450XT motor

Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Aero_Engr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Funtana with a JGF 450XT motor

Is anybody flying a Mini Funtana with a Just Go Fly 450XT motor? What is your impression of the performance? What is your setup (prop, battery, weight, flight time)?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM
JustPlaneChris

Default RE: Mini Funtana with a JGF 450XT motor

ORIGINAL: Aero_Engr

Is anybody flying a Mini Funtana with a Just Go Fly 450XT motor? What is your impression of the performance? What is your setup (prop, battery, weight, flight time)?
Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I recently replaced the Park 400 in my Mini Funtana (broken motor shaft, no surprise) with a 450XT. Overall, I'm really impressed. It does not have quite as much vertical pull as the geared setup, but the current draw is much lower, it's faster, and it's much quieter. Here's my setup:

Prop: 11x7 APC E
Battery: PQ2200 3S
ESC: Cool Running 25
Weight: 25.5 oz
Flight Time: 13+ min, mixed flying (haven't ever hit the cut-off)
Current Draw: 14.9 A

I'm not much into 3D, but the 450XT provides PLENTY of power for spirited "normal" aerobatics. Most flying is done at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The Mini Funtana is a totally different airplane with this combo compared to the Park 400/geared setup. It actually glides, and makes nice power-off landings. With the geared setup you couldn't cut power until ready to flare as the glide was very steep due to prop drag.

I've also used the 11x7 APC Slo Fly prop. It draws a lot more current static (22A) but must unload a lot in the air as the motor barely gets above ambient temperature after 10 minutes of touch-and-goes! This prop brings back some of the "shot bird" glide ratio, being a much more effective airbrake than the "E" style. I'm still undecided on whether I like this prop on this plane.

Overall, I'm mighty impressed with the 450XT. I've just removed it from the Funtana and am installing it in a scratch-built glider (60" span, 20 oz weight) with a 10x8 Aero-Naut folding prop. It should provide a spirited climb in this glider, since it'll climb at 80+ degrees indefinitely in the MF.

Oh, and one more thing: Vinnie at JustGoFly is great to deal with. Highly recommended!

Regards,

Chris Boultinghouse
Austin, TX
Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 AM
uragano47812

11x7? [X(]

Isn't it too much big? I think the right choice is 11x4.7 but i will ask to Vinnie of JGF.

Anyone try it?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:12 AM
JustPlaneChris

ORIGINAL: uragano47812

11x7? [X(]

Isn't it too much big? I think the right choice is 11x4.7 but i will ask to Vinnie of JGF.

Anyone try it?
Since my last post, I've been flying the 450XT in a motorglider using a 10x8 AeroNaut folding propellor. Static current draw is 14.5 Amps and the motor seems happy.

For 3D foamy-type flying, I think the 11x4.7 Slo Fly might be a better choice. To clarify, the 11x7 I was using was the "E" series, not the "Slo" series. BIG difference in current draw between the two. The 11x7 E pulls amps comparable to the 10x8 folder.

-Chris