Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

woooooooo i got an airbrush!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

woooooooo i got an airbrush!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 PM
HPIracer4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woooooooo i got an airbrush!!!!

hah well first of merry christmas or happy holidays to all of you, and well i opened my presents and i got an airbrush setup. Its a Testors complete kit, with compressor, 4 nozzles and all that stuff, but max is only 35psi......but ya just wanted to get opionions on this kit, seems pretty good, and yes its a double action airbrush, but it doesnt say how to mix the paint or if i have to.....just wanted some more advice! thanks!!!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:52 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: woooooooo i got an airbrush!!!!

COOL.....

Now start painting!!!!

Stick with the water-based paints. Most of them you can shoot right out of the bottle. If you do have to thin them, just use a little distilled water. NO tap water. It has minerals that end up in the paint, and in the airbrush.

Normally a 1 to 1 mix of water to paint works well. If that's too thin, go down to a .5 to 1 mix.
Shake it up really well once you mix the water with it.

Make sure that you clean the airbrush out REALLY well after you use it. Never leave the airbrush dirty...EVER.

Pipecleaners, an old toothbrush and some acetone work great for cleaning them out.

Be very careful not to damage the nozzle or the needle by dropping it or banging them on anything.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:05 PM
HPIracer4

alright sweet, wat are some good water based paints to use??? i wanna pick up some colors today but i dont know wat to get, also....wat about the nozzle sizes what to use?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
bdavison

I use Faskolor water-based paints from Parma International. They are available at most hobby shops
Createx is also very good.

Nozzle sizes are dependant upon what size line you are trying to paint. I prefer nozzle sizes around .03"

Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
HPIracer4

the nozzles i have are..... .50mm Acrylic (high flow nozzle), .40mm (general purpose nozzle), 50mm high flow nozzles, .40 acrylic general purpose nozzle, which one should i used??? i also ended up buyin Model Master Acryl paint, (water wash-up, non toxic)
Old 12-28-2005, 08:21 AM
bdavison

The .50 is for spraying large areas with lots of paint. Like if you were painting a solid color wing for example.
The .40 is what you'll want to use to paint fine lines and detail.

Id just use the .40 all the time unless I wanted to spray something very large.

Model Master Acryls are also good thats what I started out using and they wont eat foam either, which makes them great for painting foamies. They also have a WIDE variety of colors. You may need to thin them. Test it out in your airbrush just running straight out of the bottle, if it spits or clogs up, then thin it to .5 to 1 and go at it again...if it still spits or clogs up, go to a 1 to 1 ratio and so on until you find the right mix that sprays right.

You want it to come out as a fine mist, but not watery. It should fine mist, but still be Paint, and not colored water.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:42 PM
HPIracer4

ya so i hooked it up right the the glass jar the paint comes in, it sprays, but takes awhile for it to start shootin paint.... and its comin out kinda light.....so should i thin it out a bit with water??? shouodl i do the whole jar or just part.........im new to this and i want it all workin rtight before i try anything crazy lol