Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

My RCX Illusion RTF!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
SuperKaos
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My RCX Illusion RTF!

Here's a couple PRE-flight photos of my RCX Illuison, I am quite impressed with the kit and the build, it is very simple in design but yet very sturdy with some super wild control surfaces. And it also has GOOD instructions too With the motor/prop combo suggested combined with this wide cord wing with huge/wide ailerons it should be lots of fun!

Bud, thanks for your help prior to the build. If the weather permits I will be doing the test flight tomorrow. She's weighing in at 15 oz RTF!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:11 PM
GraTou
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: My RCX Illusion RTF!

looks good!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:12 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

SuperKayos:
You are a cheepoooo. Did not buy the graffics. I did not either. If you can fly worth poooo, you are gonna love this little guy. Power will be perfect, should get 15-16 minutes with tp 1320, and be totally in love with this little bird before half flight. I was doing tail toutches for the first time during my first flight. The Illusion and following rcx 300L extra have made be a much better pilot than I cound imigine. Have 12 great gassers and glows on the ceiling, all gathering dust for the past near year. Why get all ickey and goooey, and carry all that crap to the field and then start construction when you can pop two of these little sweethearts in the trunk with a extra battery or two and be flying in 30 seconds! Yea, love those rcx planes!.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:27 AM
rmgmag

Nice job, mine weighs in at 16 oz and it flies great. I'm a heavy builder plus I've got the landing gear on. You're definately going to like it. It's nice and stiff and very responsive. I just noticed that one of us has their ailerons on backwards. Probably me.....

Bob
Old 02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
SuperKaos

Thanks Gratou

ORIGINAL: rmenke

SuperKayos:
You are a cheepoooo. Did not buy the graffics. I did not either. If you can fly worth poooo, you are gonna love this little guy. Power will be perfect, should get 15-16 minutes with tp 1320, and be totally in love with this little bird before half flight. I was doing tail toutches for the first time during my first flight. The Illusion and following rcx 300L extra have made be a much better pilot than I cound imigine. Have 12 great gassers and glows on the ceiling, all gathering dust for the past near year. Why get all ickey and goooey, and carry all that crap to the field and then start construction when you can pop two of these little sweethearts in the trunk with a extra battery or two and be flying in 30 seconds! Yea, love those rcx planes!.
Hahaha, cheapo Half flight, try the first minute! I was able to knock off one flight before work. But NO BS. I gave it 3 clicks of down, no aileron or rudder trims, flipped it over to check the CG and it is near perfect on the test flight. Immediately after about a minute or so of testing/trimming I did a low slow pass and put it into a MOTIONLESS hover, rolled out of that and started playing with the rudder and ailerons. Man this thing jambs! It's crisp, percise and loves to slow fly slow and low. It loves the rudder even at the low speeds! After about three minutes it sounded a little funny so I landed it to inspect it. Found the prop loose and tightened it up, I then hand launched it into a low hover about 2 feet high no problem.

I now have FOUR 1320's and a 4 way charger

I tried to fly it after work and got chased out of my site, but I'm going in the morning anyway. I get there at 6:15 am so [:@] 'em
Old 02-21-2006, 08:41 PM
SuperKaos

ORIGINAL: rmgmag

Nice job, mine weighs in at 16 oz and it flies great. I'm a heavy builder plus I've got the landing gear on. You're definately going to like it. It's nice and stiff and very responsive. I just noticed that one of us has their ailerons on backwards. Probably me.....

Bob
Yeap, you were right! This is what I've been looking for no doubt! Yea the ailerons kind of got me, they looked backwards to me with the wide end of the cord outwards. But I tried them every which way... [:-]

My landing gear consists of ABS skids on the bottom rail. And a piece of carbon in the nose for reenforcement.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
rmgmag

Hey SuperKaos,

Post some video!!!

Bob
Old 02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
SuperKaos

I will very very soon
Old 03-18-2006, 01:29 PM
SuperKaos

Hey SuperKaos,

Post some video!!!

Bob
Hey RMG, I sold the Illusion after about 13 flights and have started building the Yak (this plane is sweet)! I was really getting good with it and a friend bought it from me.
However, I'm back to flying the Reflections Bipe till the Yak is ready. Here's a small clip of the Bipe from this morning... Let me know what you think

http://www.kaotichobbies.com/vids/hovloopcatch_refl.wmv
Old 03-19-2006, 09:22 AM
rmgmag

Hey, nice flying. That was a pretty tight loop. I've been flying their Sierra Bipe. I built it heavy (too much glue), but it's very stable in hover. Knife edge doesn't even need any rudder and I can even do rolling circles with it. I thought I'd never be able to do those, but this plane does it automatically. Let us know how you like the YAK. I haven't flown that one yet.

Bob
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 AM
SuperKaos

Hey, nice flying. That was a pretty tight loop. I've been flying their Sierra Bipe. I built it heavy (too much glue), but it's very stable in hover. Knife edge doesn't even need any rudder and I can even do rolling circles with it. I thought I'd never be able to do those, but this plane does it automatically. Let us know how you like the YAK. I haven't flown that one yet.

Bob
Thanks, yea that Bipe does some super sweet loops! The Sierra, is that the RCX you're testing? Sounds as if you're having a little fun with it. If so I'm very interested in it.

The Bi's are a total blast, I'm down to doing HALF a rolling cirlce with mine BUT, today I did manage to do my first inverted flat circles, fairly low to the ground too. Reverse rudder control gives me the tongue twistises......

I hope the YAK flies simular to the Illusion, I much preferre the looks of the YAK. It just looks mean to me... One thing I know, the YAK will be alot easier the catch than the Bipe

Here's a couple photos of her, I'm getting ready to rig it now...

Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM
rmgmag

Yep, the Sierra is a new rcx plane bipe. It's not in production yet. It was pretty straight forward to build, I may have given Bud a better methodology for getting the airframe straight. I'll be curious to see if he incorporates it into the instructions. The only problem I have is that I seem to build everything heavy. I tend to use medium/thick CA because I usually end up melting to foam when I use thin CA, and I think that's where I'm gaining a lot of weight. I'll have to build another one using thin CA and see if that helps.

Even though it's heavy, it's a blast to fly.

Below is one of the pictures that Bud sent me. Mine looks the same except I had Bud use blue trim with red flames on my version.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64544.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	429077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91703.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	429078  
Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM
flyingace451

When I actually learn 3D, I'm interested in an rcx plane. Which one would be good for a newbie 3Der who has some experience?[8D]
Old 03-19-2006, 04:44 PM
SuperKaos

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

When I actually learn 3D, I'm interested in an rcx plane. Which one would be good for a newbie 3Der who has some experience?[8D]
Funny thing about it, you don't even have to now how to fly 3D to fly one. They fly so rock solid that anyone can fly them. Test flights are a joke, they hand launch like a kite, and 3 clicks of down and it's on! They are very stable slow flying planes. I've only flown the Illusion so far, I should be testing the YAK by Tuesday.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
SuperKaos

Yep, the Sierra is a new rcx plane bipe. It's not in production yet. It was pretty straight forward to build, I may have given Bud a better methodology for getting the airframe straight. I'll be curious to see if he incorporates it into the instructions. The only problem I have is that I seem to build everything heavy. I tend to use medium/thick CA because I usually end up melting to foam when I use thin CA, and I think that's where I'm gaining a lot of weight. I'll have to build another one using thin CA and see if that helps.

Even though it's heavy, it's a blast to fly.

Below is one of the pictures that Bud sent me. Mine looks the same except I had Bud use blue trim with red flames on my version.

I use medium too, how much did it weigh? What's the wing area?
Old 03-19-2006, 06:03 PM
flyingace451

I can fly pretty much any plane, I'm just learning 3D on those 20 dollar Yak 55s from Hobby Lobby so that I can really get the craziness going with a better plane. If I tried to learn 3D on a more expensive plane, I'd still crash and crash. So I'm thinking learning on a 20 dollar plane is much better than a 60.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:10 PM
rmgmag

I've got it down to 10.8 oz, Bud's came in at 9.5 oz. I'm using a Custom CDR hot motor (Bud uses a heavier Hacker), a Berg receiver (4 grams), 3 HS-55 servos (Bud uses 2 HS-50's and 1 HS-55), and E-tec 3s 700mah batteries. I've got a TP720 that I also use, and a Vampower 630. The Vampower saves about 1/2 oz. Since most of my components are as light or lighter than Bud's, I'm assuming that it's gotta be the glue that's adding so much weight. I even purchased a 100 gram weight to calibrate my scale.....it's not my scale, so the glue is the only thing left.

The wing area is 430 square inches.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 PM
SuperKaos

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

I can fly pretty much any plane, I'm just learning 3D on those 20 dollar Yak 55s from Hobby Lobby so that I can really get the craziness going with a better plane. If I tried to learn 3D on a more expensive plane, I'd still crash and crash. So I'm thinking learning on a 20 dollar plane is much better than a 60.
Gotcha, it's hard to read between the lines sometimes [:@] I know what you mean though, that reflections I'm flying really takes a beating. It has over 100 landings on it, it can bounce of the walls, smack it right into the ground time and time again. Just apply some CA to it as needed and it's RTF once again.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:25 PM
SuperKaos

I've got it down to 10.8 oz, Bud's came in at 9.5 oz. I'm using a Custom CDR hot motor (Bud uses a heavier Hacker), a Berg receiver (4 grams), 3 HS-55 servos (Bud uses 2 HS-50's and 1 HS-55), and E-tec 3s 700mah batteries. I've got a TP720 that I also use, and a Vampower 630. The Vampower saves about 1/2 oz. Since most of my components are as light or lighter than Bud's, I'm assuming that it's gotta be the glue that's adding so much weight. I even purchased a 100 gram weight to calibrate my scale.....it's not my scale, so the glue is the only thing left.

The wing area is 430 square inches.
You're talking about nearly 2 oz. of weight. Sounds like checking the scale may be a good idea. 430" wing area, and around 10 oz. +/- NICE!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
SuperKaos

Speaking of knife edge, mine is the same way. Barely uses any rudder, take some getting used to forsure!

Here's a vid of a few practice passes, notice on the second pass the power decrease and the "Whooooo!" then the 3 rd pass has a little MORE power on
That day had vairable wind changes, it was a real pain!

http://www.kaotichobbies.com/vids/knife_reflect.wmv
Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 AM
rmgmag

ORIGINAL: SuperKaos

Speaking of knife edge, mine is the same way. Barely uses any rudder, take some getting used to forsure!

Here's a vid of a few practice passes, notice on the second pass the power decrease and the "Whooooo!" then the 3 rd pass has a little MORE power on

Those KE passes look good. Your waterfalls/flips look the same as my Allure. Lots of fun. I do them from a hover and from straight and level. The ones from straight and level are the most fun because I use full down elevator and it looks like I'm going to drive it into the ground, but it just flips over and keeps on flying.

I'll see if I can get someone to take some video of me doing rolling circles, they're becoming my favorite move.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:54 PM
SuperKaos

ORIGINAL: SuperKaos

Those KE passes look good. Your waterfalls/flips look the same as my Allure. Lots of fun. I do them from a hover and from straight and level. The ones from straight and level are the most fun because I use full down elevator and it looks like I'm going to drive it into the ground, but it just flips over and keeps on flying.

I'll see if I can get someone to take some video of me doing rolling circles, they're becoming my favorite move.

Thanks again MAG,

This plane doesn't like full down as much as full up. However the Illusion did like full down. I can't wait to get back to my RCX [:@]

Yes I would love to see your rolling circles, I attempted one again today. Basicly you just point the nose up and work the throllte and ailerons right? In time, in time...

TODAY I did a series of inverted FLAT figure 8's! Man, I'm lovin the rudder these days. That's gonna take time to feel comfortable with though...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
rmgmag

For the rolling circles with the Sierra, all I do is set the throttle to about 1/2, point the nose up about 5-10 degrees and crank in full aileron, and don't touch anything else. It's way too easy....stopping it before I get dizzy is another story.

I picked up a Honey Bee FP helicopter a couple of weeks ago, and that's cutting into my 3D time. While flying the heli is somewhat, so I'm getting a little rusty already. It's challenging because it's something new, but I'm finding it kind of boring. Lift off, hover, turn left, turn right, try some forward flight, wobble around, regain control (or not)....no real wow factor for me. Flying my Sierra us much more fun. I'll probalby give the heli to my kids to play with, to me, planes are more fun.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
SuperKaos

Sounds like fun, I'll have to try more of the rolling circles with the Reflections. I've been flying the heli's on the sim a bit. I can do pretty good with them now. But I feel the same way, no big wow factor is a good way to put it.

I flew the Yak today, I spent most of the flight time setting it up. It's hard for me to transition BACK to a plane like this from the little Bipe. The ailerons themselves have like a 4:1 roll ration difference between the two. I took out some exponetial on them, changed a few other things and will test it again in the AM.