Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

Old 03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm going to try and learn 3D, which plane?

Whoa...that Yak 55 from Hobby Lobby uses:

3 HS-55 servos- I already have 2 gathering dust
1 Micro 555 Rx- I have one gathering dust with the servos(same Rx shown in review...not the recomended one from HL)
Laser 4 FM-the same Tx that I got for my first Tx

And then the Lipo, Motor, and ESC are all available from the same site! That's all of the stuff I need for under 200 bucks...sweet!

You may be on to something here... Get a sim, buy a couple of these to crash while learning basics, and then to learn big maneuvers. And go with the Illusion when I want some awesome awesome performance.[>:]
Old 03-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

That would get you going... but at some point youmight want to get a better radio with expo/mixing/etc...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Maudib

I'be heard those little eskay motors are just fine for $25 (on sale now)

but don't waste your money on the Jeti controller...

Get a Electrifly 12 amp silver series from Tower for $35 nice ESC rated higher and even with extra shipping will be cheaper than the $62 Jeti and probably lighter.

The Polyquest "20" apck they sell is fine too... $34 for 3 cell

So for $140 plus a littel shipping you can have two foamies, a brushless motor, esc and lipoly... heck get 2 packs cause you will run them back to back...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
flyingace451

Hehe...I know I'm going to need a much better radio than that sometime soon. I guess none of you guys knew that I was 15 turning 16 in april. Maybe if I'm lucky and can learn tons about gassers and cars, I could get a job at my LHS and then I get a comp radio, servos, and ESCs with a discount! My LHS isn't the best though...they don't carry any motors and their plane sections is extremely limited.

OK, I guess the HL yak foamies will be the way to go. I guess crashing will be helpful because it will give me tons of experience with repairing...and the plane costs less than the last servo I bought so no problems there. (btw it was an HS-81mg for a Stryker)

Thanks so much for helping me finally come to a conclusion! Will the Hitec 555 rx be ok for that plane? Or should I get a lighter one?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Maudib

It's fine. It can be removed from the case and a piece of shrink wrap shrunk over it to save a little weight for foamies...
Old 05-28-2006, 04:57 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

tower hobbies is having a great sale on there furious, outrage,and RADX3D bipes, 49.99 and that includes outrunner motor ! the building instuctions leave a lot to be desired, but they are great flying planes.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

I think the Airfoilz Yak is the way to go. I have found in my 14 years in the hobby you pay for what you get most of the time. The AirfoilZ is no exception to that it cost a little more but you get a plane ten times better than a flat wing foamy that will last you. To break the airfoilZ to the point it cannot be repaired with out substantial weight gain you have to hit very hard. The slow crashes that happen when 3ding low is no problem for the AirfoilZ. I have banged mine in pretty good a few times. Broken props but no major damage to the Airframe. Had to epoxy the elevator back together no problems there back in the air in no time. The AirfoilZ will grow with you. It will be your piloting skills that hold you back not the plane were as with other foamies that becomes the case very fast depending on how much you fly. Get the AirfoilZ now and in a few months you won't be looking to upgrade and spend even more money. Spend the money now and it will save you in the long run! Just turn the throws down to start out and increase them as you get better.

Here are my videos
Enjoy

Edge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DXHM4ta3s

Yak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXHe_WQth4
Old 05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I'm learning with the E-flite Ultimate FX. Very easy to control, if you've flown before, and it hovers easily. I've flown it about 6 times and each time I can make it hover longer and smoother. Have not crashed it yet!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:44 PM
flyingace451

OK can this thread get closed or something? I've been flying 3D for a month now...and I'm on my second Hobby Lobby Yak-55. I can blender, hover (for a couple of seconds), hammerhead, knife edge, snap roll, harrier most of the basics I can do. Now, I said I can do them, not make them look pretty That Yak combo really is a nice one...the plane isn't the best in the world but that could just be building errors. The next plane after I go through a couple more yaks and/or I'm confident with my abilities will be the AirfoilZ Yak-54 or Edge 540. I DO NOT want someone trying to change my mind on this. I've started talking on threads with mike (above) and others helping me along and their help has been appreciated so much.

Don't bother replying anymore the this thread. It's old and I'm probably not going to view it anymore because I already have a plane.