Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

I killed my Mini Edge 540

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

I killed my Mini Edge 540

Old 04-01-2006, 11:22 AM
DHC8GURU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I killed my Mini Edge 540

After about one hour worth of total actual rc airplane flying experience and countless hours of sim time, I finally turned my Mini edge into an accordian.

I had a few knocks on the plane since this is the first one I have owned and it is basically my trainer. The plane only exhibits one poor trait and that is it is unpredictable on its elevator effectiveness, it seems to washout easily, regardless of speed but a healthy dose of power always brings it back to life.
I got close to the ground and a gust of wind slammed it hard. While checking it over, I pondered the fact that the plane would eventually be doomed in my inexperienced hands and decided it was time to do some maneuvers that I was only confident to try on the sim. Well I learned to do nice snap rolls and flat spins. The grin on my face got the best of me and while doing a climbing vertical snap roll it turned into a diving flat spin aggrivated back into a snap roll by the time I could finish saying "cool", the plane could not recover.
The upside of this is I got the courage to do maneuvers that I would not have normally done due to lack of understanding of what this plane can and cannot do.
I figured I would have to take a chance like this in order to advance my flying skills. I think every first airplane is doomed from the first flight and the rest have a better chance of survival.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:34 AM
spec36

Default RE: I killed my Mini Edge 540

my first plane did not last that long if that makes you feel better . i took off went up to about 50' and spun to the earth and that was it back to the hobby store dont give up it will come and the sim will help IMO
Old 04-01-2006, 12:11 PM
DHC8GURU

I won't give up. I would have been a bit discouraged it if was something stupid that happened. But I was just asking for it. I have been flying Helicopters and have come to the point with those that everytime I crash it is from something simple. The repair costs and time to repair the heli's are getting old. My Mikado Logo 10 costs me a $100 minimum on every mishap. After a year of flying, the best I have been able to do with a Heli good basic forward flight and some light aerobatics. The biggest problem I am trying to overcome is left over from flying Heli's and that is my fear experiencing a crash.
I won't give up on Heli's, I just need a break and the airplanes are giving me that.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:14 PM
rmgmag

You might want to take your equipment (whatever survived) and pick up an Illussion from www.rcxplanes.com. I know it's foam, and some people aren't really fond of it's looks, but they fly great, and if you do break one, it takes about 2 minutes to repair with foam safe CA. They have a money back guarantee if you use their equipment recommendations and aren't happy with it. Very knowledgable and great customer service too.

Once you get good at flying the foamies, then move on up to something like the Mini Edge or something similar. You'll get a lot more flying time, and save a ton of money, because the foam planes are easy to repair. Eventually they won't fly as well because of weight of all of the repairs and glue, but that's how you know it's time to move on....
Old 04-01-2006, 12:38 PM
aerofundan

You should try one of the copperhead stiffys! its a plane that is almost impossible to destroy, and it flys 3D & Precision! i did a video of it, here it is

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4109068/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
DHC8GURU

I really didn't have any problems flying the Edge, I really was just being a little to crazy and careless with the plane. It really is a pretty easy plane to fly and it takes a great beating.