Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

What solder / flux to use to solder lipo cells

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

What solder / flux to use to solder lipo cells

Old 06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What solder / flux to use to solder lipo cells

the "solder tabs" on my lipo cells are made of a material that does not lend itself to normal soldering. It may be aluminum. The factory was able to solder on the original leads, so this proves it's possible. I have only tried Oatey No. 5 solder paste (good for all metals except aluminum, magnesium and stainless steel).

I have three individual cells salvaged from other packs and would like to make up a 3-cell pack.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:18 AM
flyingace451

Default RE: What solder / flux to use to solder lipo cells

Rosin Core solder is what I use for all electronic stuff. Hope that helps. Oh, and no flux is needed when using rosin core.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:50 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: What solder / flux to use to solder lipo cells

This is not standard "electronic stuff". I am fairly experienced at soldering in general. But this material (the tab that comes out of the lipo cell) is not standard steel and regular solder (rosin core or otherwise) will not stick at all. I have cleaned it very well, roughed it up a but and the solder will not stick. I think the material may be aluminum or stainless or some other metal - perhaps nickel-based alloy.