Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

ANybody look at this yet?

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

ANybody look at this yet?

Old 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANybody look at this yet?

Has anyone purchased or looked at this plane? Seems pretty nice for the price.
http://www.hobby-estore.com/tm-geniu...irplanes.html#
Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ANybody look at this yet?

It resembles the E-Flite Brio..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2275
Tony Frackowiak flies the Brio.... it looks like a full-sized pattern plane in the air.. and behaves well.
He's changed from the e-flite servos to digital JRs.. and found the performance improved tremendously.. mostly due to the lack of trim changes in flight with the better servos.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Taildragger726

Hmmmmm, looks a lot like a Prodigy
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 AM
3DForrest

Hey Tall Paul,

I used to fly with Tony in the out at the Edwards Air Force base dry lake bed.
Tell him that Forrest Pilkenton said Hi.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:46 PM
WhtBronco

3DForrest
Next time I'm in Beavercreek on a site visit I need to hook up with some of you OMP guys for a bit of flying. We have an office there that supports some of the IT equipment at Wright Pat AF and I end up there for a week or so about once a year.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

I have one. I put a Hacker A20/20L on it with a 1800 Lipo. 21.5 oz auw. Wonderful knife edges and hovers. Fliton is upset because this is exactly the Prodigy direct from the factory, at under half the price. They are trying to sue them in China. (good luck)

I personally think Fliton's overpriced this ($160). In fact, I would not even have considered it at that price. Lets say the factory is actually producing these for $30. Shipping is probably $10, The distributor is probably going to get $25. This leaves $95 bucks for Fliton.

Somehow Eflight is able to support not only the distribution channel but also the retail channel and put a plane like the Funtana on the shelf for $80. (A larger, better made plane)

So, I guess I don't have much sympathy for Fliton. But I do love the plane, and actually plan on buying some other aircraft from Fliton. Like the Rogue 3D and Extra. They just priced this one way too high.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:11 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

I just got one these. Can you tell me where the CG is located?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:16 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I guess they really are made in China, look how they spelt brushless. What's a Actlyator?

Motor: Blushless DT22L-24T Motor
ESC: 20A Brushless Actlyator
Battery: Li-Po battery 11.1V 1500mAh
Transmitter: 4channels
Servos: 9gĂ—4
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
lwatson

start with CG about 1/4 inch behind the spare, you can move it back from there. I did a couple mods to it.

1) put in larger carbon fiber to join the wings, Used 1/8 tubes. This caused a little problem mounting the aileron servos but made the wing really nice and stiff.
2) moved the servos into the back part of the fusalage. Some of this depends on the motor you are going to use, I went light with a Hacker A20 20L, so I was nervous about the weight in the tail. (AUW 20.5 with 1320 lipo)
3) Tail wheel of course.

This is a great airplane.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

hhhmmm just saw this. sure looks like a rip off to me. even though no two planes fly alike, seems to familiar. i would stick with the other producer and forget about china. just my opinion.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
TampaRCGuy

I just got it in. Nice quality. From what I see of the kit and read online, the Chinese manufacturer that actually makes these released their own as well as sell it to Fliton. Much less money, no instructions, no help available. You get what you pay for. For less than $60, cheap enough.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good looking, well-built, high performance airplane!
I wouldn't pay the higher price for it, I'd get eFlite's.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:16 PM
TampaRCGuy

ORIGINAL: lwatson

start with CG about 1/4 inch behind the spare, you can move it back from there. I did a couple mods to it.

1) put in larger carbon fiber to join the wings, Used 1/8 tubes. This caused a little problem mounting the aileron servos but made the wing really nice and stiff.
2) moved the servos into the back part of the fusalage. Some of this depends on the motor you are going to use, I went light with a Hacker A20 20L, so I was nervous about the weight in the tail. (AUW 20.5 with 1320 lipo)
3) Tail wheel of course.

This is a great airplane.
What prop are you running? Also, can you post a pic of the servo install? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:43 AM
rmgmag

ORIGINAL: lwatson

I have one. I put a Hacker A20/20L on it with a 1800 Lipo. 21.5 oz auw. Wonderful knife edges and hovers. Fliton is upset because this is exactly the Prodigy direct from the factory, at under half the price. They are trying to sue them in China. (good luck)

I personally think Fliton's overpriced this ($160). In fact, I would not even have considered it at that price. Lets say the factory is actually producing these for $30. Shipping is probably $10, The distributor is probably going to get $25. This leaves $95 bucks for Fliton.

Somehow Eflight is able to support not only the distribution channel but also the retail channel and put a plane like the Funtana on the shelf for $80. (A larger, better made plane)

So, I guess I don't have much sympathy for Fliton. But I do love the plane, and actually plan on buying some other aircraft from Fliton. Like the Rogue 3D and Extra. They just priced this one way too high.
It looks great but the've got the weight listed as 1,238 grams or about 42 oz. Is that correct? Is a Hacker A20/20L enough of a motor for that weight?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:21 PM
TampaRCGuy

It looks great but the've got the weight listed as 1,238 grams or about 42 oz. Is that correct? Is a Hacker A20/20L enough of a motor for that weight?

[/quote]

That can't be right, but if it is, no way. The A20 20L is good for about 22 oz.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 PM
rmgmag

[/quote]

That can't be right, but if it is, no way. The A20 20L is good for about 22 oz.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. I just noticed that lwatson said his was 21.5 oz. I'm thinking that maybe I'll pick one up too. I've got a A20/22L that would probably work OK if I proped it down a bit.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 PM
TampaRCGuy

I hooked up my new Hyperion E-meter last night.

Hacker A20 20L
Electrifly SS25 ESC
15C 2200-3S e-Model lipo

All APC props:

10x7E prop: 20 Amps, 190 watts
10x4.7SF :16 Amps, 148 watts (I think)
9x6E: 13 amps, 138 Watts
11x4.7SF: 19.5 Amps, 163 watts (I think)

The aicraft flew the best on then 10x7E, but is too much prop.

I contacted Hacker and they recommended the A30-28S or the A30 16M. They say the 16M could be a bit over powered. I think the 16M and a 10x7E prop maybe the way to go.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM
rmgmag

ORIGINAL: RC Accessory
I contacted Hacker and they recommended the A30-28S or the A30 16M. They say the 16M could be a bit over powered. I think the 16M and a 10x7E prop maybe the way to go.
Overkill? You can never have too much power, but the 16M does weigh 1.2 oz more. That's quite a bit...don't know what impact that would have on the wing loading. Are there any other motors that weigh in at 2.5 oz and put out 350 watts at 22 amps?

Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
TampaRCGuy

ORIGINAL: rmgmag

ORIGINAL: RC Accessory
Overkill? You can never have too much power, but the 16M does weigh 1.2 oz more. That's quite a bit...don't know what impact that would have on the wing loading. Are there any other motors that weigh in at 2.5 oz and put out 350 watts at 22 amps?

Right now, the lipoly pack is almost 2 oz heavier than a TP 2100 Prolite. I will switch out to a 1320 TP or a 20C Kokam, add the bigger motor. Even if the weight stays the same, I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

Evan
Old 08-14-2006, 02:14 PM
rmgmag

Right now, the lipoly pack is almost 2 oz heavier than a TP 2100 Prolite. I will switch out to a 1320 TP or a 20C Kokam, add the bigger motor. Even if the weight stays the same, I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

Evan
Let us know how it works. The pricing of that plane is almost to good to pass up.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:04 PM
BandBHobbies

On the surface, $59.99 looks like a good price till you factor in $17.95 for shipping. And have you priced a good Actlyator lately? No instructions...no support...they are barely aquainted with the English language. I'll stick with E-Flite too! When the pricing on something seems low, just remember; they know what their stuff is worth. LOL
Old 08-14-2006, 04:53 PM
juanma

Recently, I bought that prodigy (so called Genius) from that company you said and I`like to say that the service is great, I realize that the plane came directly from china, and believe me its a lot faster than any other internet company (except one that always ship the order 24hs after checkout). Yes, It did not came with the manual and the decal set, But if you can not assemble this little thing without a manual is because you have no clue of whats this hooby is about. The plane is awesome with the Power 480 (1020kv) and THP2.100 ProLite. Buy from the factory its not illegal, buying from intermediaries twice the price may be stupid I dont know, I bought the Rogue and the Brio 10 and its the same thing with a manual that you won use until you realize that there is a mistake. Next month I will order a couple of wind, star and desert for me and a friend of mine.
PS: I think if you buy 2 or 3 airplanes, the shipping cost will remain the same, not so sure.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:59 PM
juanma

Recently, I bought that prodigy (so called Genius) from that company you said and I`like to say that the service is great, I realize that the plane came directly from china, and believe me its a lot faster than any other internet company (except one that always ship the order 24hs after checkout). Yes, It did not came with the manual and the decal set, But if you can not assemble this little thing without a manual is because you have no clue of whats this hooby is about. The plane is awesome with the Power 480 (1020kv) and THP2.100 ProLite. Buy from the factory its not illegal, buying from intermediaries twice the price may be stupid I dont know, I bought the Rogue and the Brio 10 and its the same thing with a manual that you won use until you realize that there is a mistake. Next month I will order a couple of wind, star and desert for me and a friend of mine.
PS: I think if you buy 2 or 3 airplanes, the shipping cost will remain the same, not so sure.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:12 PM
decay

I think the E-Flight Brio 10 would be
a better plane. Better support from
distributor if there was a problem.
Ques designs are said to be top notch.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:57 PM
lwatson

decay,

I think you are wrong. The Brio 10 is a great design but something went wrong in the construction and the wings turned out particularly heavy. The result is 32oz AUW. You can calculate the wing loading on that if you would like. It basically takes the Brio 10 out of 3D and leaves it a pattern plane.

By the way, I was worried that China was going to run out of the Genius, so I bought another one. (This was after executing a perfect 8 point roll, pulling up into a stable hover and knife edge exit with my current Genius) So now I have a spare one sitting around.

This one also arrived fast and in great shape. But, it is easy to tell it has been sitting in a warehouse for a long time. There is even some yellowing where the ribs meet the white covering. I think (this is only a guess) that these where simply overproduced, stacked in a warehouse and are being sold off cheap. I think at some point you are going to see the end of this model. It will be replaced by Flitons new mini "inspire". I came really close to buying that one, but I just hate the transparent wings, just not enough visual clues. I think they should offer a version with a better color scheme, but they didn't ask me.

Larry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.