Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

GP RIOT or BYP YAK ? What should I buy???

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

GP RIOT or BYP YAK ? What should I buy???

Old 09-30-2006, 07:06 AM
heliyardsale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP RIOT or BYP YAK ? What should I buy???

I went to my LHS yesterday to pick up my 1st 3D plane. I had my heart set on a BYP YAK but they were out of stock. After poking around for a while I spotted 4 new GP RIOTS on the shelf, they really spurred my interest. What do you think? Should I take a trip back down and pick up a GP RIOT or wait a week for the Byp Yak??? Which plane do you think is more durable for first-time 3Ders?
Heli
Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GP RIOT or BYP YAK ? What should I buy???

For a first time 3D-er, neither. Get yourself some 6mm monoplane. Both of the planes you mentioned are great planes, but will quickly be in pieces for a 3D trainer. Check out fancyfoam.com. They have a number of great combo kits made of 6mm foam. I know Mike Hammel, the owner of FF personally, and he's a great guy. I've flown about half of his designs, and haven't found a single one that wasn't good. Plus if you crash them, most of the time you can just walk over and put them right back up.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

If I had to choose between the 2...
The Byp Yak is bigger, and would be easier to handle...the Riot is tiny, and would not be as easy for a beginning 3D pilot to learn on...JMO.

My 1st 3D foamy was a Tribute...still flying it...
Old 10-03-2006, 07:52 AM
heliyardsale

Thanks for the advice... I actually picked up the yellow Riot this past weekend, cool little plane. I'm planning on the Byp Yak too when they are back in stock. Money burning a hole in my pocket? Not really but the Riot just looked nice so I had to have one. I do have a fair amount of Sim time on FMS and plenty of real Heli time so hopefully I'll be ok. Someone at my LHS also mentioned an Ultra Stick 22/25, does anybody have an Ultra Stick? I know it's not a 3D plane but they say it flys well.
Thanks,
Heli