Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

*Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

*Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
jlobster88
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

I just bought a typhoon 2 3d off another guy. it was still in the box just missing the receiver. I put my receiver in and battery and nothing happened as far as motor goes. i was wondering if there was any way to check the ESC. It does beep when battery is plugged in.??
Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jlobster88

I just bought a typhoon 2 3d off another guy. it was still in the box just missing the receiver. I put my receiver in and battery and nothing happened as far as motor goes. i was wondering if there was any way to check the ESC. It does beep when battery is plugged in.??
First, make sure you have plugged the ESC leads to the receiver correctly. That is, the black wire goes to the negative side. If not sure which way to plug them in, just reverse them and try motor again.

Second, make sure the transmitter stick that controls motor and the speed trimmer are both down all the way. The motor will not engage unless the trimmer is all the way down.

If servos work OK, then the receiver should be OK.

If servos work and the motor does not, then it could be the motor. You could check to see if the motor is getting any power with a voltmeter.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

And...DO NOT power up the plane unless the ESC is connected to the motor. Usually immediate burnout.

If it turns out that the ESC is no good, you might get one from somewhere like this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ies_25-30A_ESC

for a big $8 + shipping, or try Ebay for an RC Smart 30A ESC. I have used several of these without any complaints:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-30A-Bru...item45eeb04b53

That'll cost you $25+, but if you buy one ofeir small outrunners in an auction, you can usually get a 250-400W outrunner AND an RC Smart 30AS ESC delivered for just over $30.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 PM
lejongleur

p.s. after a big crash, I re-powered my Typhoon with one of these (RC 1135 outrunner plus RC Smart 30A ESC), for which I paid $33 delivered. It was an easy change, more than twice the power and actually lighter than the stock motor and gearbox.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-1135-Ou...item45f0553d28
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 AM
lejongleur

Bizarre incident yesterday. I flew my Typhoon for its 130th time on a gusty day. Changed the battery and went up again - lots of tumbling, etc., when it became increasingly badly behaved, then uncontrollable, and crashed downwind. When I got to it, it had bounced off one of the probably 4 cars in the whole huge park (causing a dent/scratch), and the owner was a bit grouchy about it, but that's another matter that was solved with some folding money.

The Typhoon was sitting on the blacktop near the car, apparently undamaged (its pretty scruffy, but didn't show any signs of sudden recent -50g deceleration.) However, BOTH ailerons were broken in a couple of places, one of them more or less in pieces. All the hinge mounts are still on both wings, and one of the ailerons was replaced about 15 flights ago. The propeller was not broken, although the blade tips looked a bit worn (might have been before the flight).

I took the plane back and turned everything back on - everything works fine and with the new ailerons I ordered tonight ($13.99 delivered from RCBoyz), it will be back in action. The radio was not at fault, as I could operate the tail and throttle when it was otherwise out of control.

I do, however, have the control surfaces set up to go as far as the airframe allows, using S3102 Futaba MG servos to yank them around, so I wonder if a gust of wind literally broke the ailerons in the air when both ailerons were deflected more than 45 degrees or so.

We'll see what happens next time.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM
hailsontheground

I just got a used Typhoon 2 and wish to know if the factory radio ZX10 can charge rechargeable batteries while in the transmitter without removing them, it appears to have a charge jack on the right side of the transmitter to do this. It should be 12v correct do to using 8AA batteries to operate the transmitter?