Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

NEW~~~E-Flite Extra 260 480 ARF~~~

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

NEW~~~E-Flite Extra 260 480 ARF~~~

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
pingber1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW~~~E-Flite Extra 260 480 ARF~~~

...just got one and a few issues
1) The cowl does NOT fit .... at least 1/4" too tight and won't fit over the fuselage ... Horizon Hobbies was NOT helpful at all, they insist that it does fit, although the two that we tried at one hobby shop and the 3 that we tried at another did not fit. These is a solution, just make a small cut in the bottom of the cowl to give enough room to fit ... but really, you shouldn;t have to
2) With the 480 and a maxAmp 2100 3S, an e-flite 40 esc and HS55's all around, the balance point is such that the battery can't be put on the battery tray. SO I had to add 3/4 oz to the tail, not a big deal since the 480 has MORE than enough power.
3) Its a floater .... stays right on track, does everything that you could ask for and lands almost hands off.

BUT

4) after I made my 3rd flight and really got into it, really working those servos, I blew out the esc ... Horizon is checking out the motor and the esc, BUT I would suggest using something like a UBEC or a separate receiver battery for this one.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:35 PM
aflipz

I can't say i never had issues with Castle, but i would no longer run anything else, ever... And i don't see myself exceeding a phoenix 35's bec on 3 cells with a plane this light.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

If I'm dumb enough to crash a balsa plane, then I get what I deserve-more repairs or replacement!
I don't think everyone who ever crashed a "balsa" plane is dumb.

Read someone already had a lightpole jump out and grab a wing tip and there was some minimal damage, somewhat encouraging.
i think asking that a plane of any size be able to hit a light pole and escape without any damage is not being very realistic...
I am the owner of the 260 that clipped the light pole. I didn't expect that the plane wouldn't be damaged...I was SURE it was going to be destroyed! As I said, there was very little damage. Rib on the wingtip was cracked as it turns out. Aileron was ripped away from the wing, and canopy was ejected...and the plane still was able to be landed...three pointer! Obviously it would have been a different story had it been a "direct" hit...and for what it's worth, I don't ask my planes to take "hits" either. In fact, I have lost only two planes in the last five years...one mechanical loss, and one due to a bad judgment of distance. S*** happens.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 AM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

I'm only speaking of myself and it's been awhile since I've made any dumb mistakes! (not that it won't occur again)Maybe I need a billet titaniun plane or something? As I stated before the only planes I've been able to keep flying for a while have been the larger ones. Seem to be able to take more stress and strain longer. Larger wheels=better grass handling too.
ORIGINAL: jcflysrc

If I'm dumb enough to crash a balsa plane, then I get what I deserve-more repairs or replacement!
I don't think everyone who ever crashed a "balsa" plane is dumb.

Read someone already had a lightpole jump out and grab a wing tip and there was some minimal damage, somewhat encouraging.
i think asking that a plane of any size be able to hit a light pole and escape without any damage is not being very realistic...
I am the owner of the 260 that clipped the light pole. I didn't expect that the plane wouldn't be damaged...I was SURE it was going to be destroyed! As I said, there was very little damage. Rib on the wingtip was cracked as it turns out. Aileron was ripped away from the wing, and canopy was ejected...and the plane still was able to be landed...three pointer! Obviously it would have been a different story had it been a "direct" hit...and for what it's worth, I don't ask my planes to take "hits" either. In fact, I have lost only two planes in the last five years...one mechanical loss, and one due to a bad judgment of distance. S*** happens.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
aflipz

jcflysrc

i don't think anyone was calling anyone dumb except themselves "If i am dumb enough to..."

I certainly punish myself with that kind of talk when i do "dumb thumb" a plane in but i wouldn't call anyone dumb for having an unfortunate accident with their plane!

3DownLow; do you think it might be possible that your larger planes last longer partly because you are more careful with them? i mean do a botched hard elevator landing on a small light plane and it'll probably not hurt itself because it doesn't have much inertia. while doing the same with a 150CC gasser is bound to cause major damage.

Granted there are some bad arf's out there that can't take a snap roll without shedding their wings now that's another story, i like the light construction of this bird; it's sturdy enough and light enough. Plus the fact that it's a "fast food" arf means it's cheap and easy to source parts for (cheap enough to buy a second one for parts should anything happen) Flying the crap out of it should be a guilt free experience because of this; It's just begging to be violated
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

I'm more "protective" of my bigger ones for sure, but I've had enough "fast food" arf's for now. I would rather fly my scratchbuilt Clik XL after having flown lots of smaller balsa planes. It's a lot more fun and and I can whip one up in a night should I tank it. It's bigger and will take the wind a lot better than most 40-50" balsa planes(and any other foamie that size). But in the same token I have no qualms about socking it too my bigger ones without fear of busting it in flight. I love doing blenders full power sometimes and haven't had my Reactor .46 sized go south on me. I don't think you'll try too many harrier landings with the 260 without some LG issues. That' s one move I'll try on my bigger ones no problem. The landing gear area is usually beefier and I usually upgrade the gear to carbon too. I really do like the way the larger planes handle more wind too. Nothing more frustrating than toughing it out flying in 15+ mph winds with a small light plane. Not much fun and it doesn't make you or the plane look good bouncing around in the wind. Plus larger seems to fly better, that's what sold me. Not a great pilot by any stretch of the imagination, but my flying looks a lot smoother with a bigger plane. Not to mention love showing up the glow guys with the same plane! They can't stand getting outperformed by electrics! May not have the duration, but the overall performance is fun to compare in the air. Something to be said for larger props and instant power, no lag. Plus I don't have to repair the larger ones nearly as often as the small ones. Always find myself CA'ing into small fuses trying to fix seperated bulkheads, firewalls, etc. Least I can get my hands into the larger fuse easier. A watchmaker I'm not.
Here's a couple of quick vids of my upsized Clik F3P foamie for comparison. Smooooth! Presents well in the air too. I've flown lots of 3D balsa planes that don't fly this well. Pretty sad when you can whip up a foamie that flies better than some of the big name balsa planes with a lot more R&D put into them. Hey $11 bucks per sheet of foam ain't a bad replacement price! That's my friend Blake on the sticks, I'm shooting video. He's a 260 nut too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1365181
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/DPK4YGFXMSKHC8FY
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Towers

Well i just bought an Extra on the US, I live in Colombia, so I had to ship it here, some damage occur to the fuselage and wings. But hopefully nothing really bad. Anyways, I have the Rimfire 35-30-950Kv with GP 25A ESC, also in my hands a 15C 1250mah battery. Planning to gear up my plane with them. Any suggestions or comments, need some advice.

Note: The cowl on my Extra didn´t fit at first, too. But I saved hope for when I screwed it down to the plane. Hope was´t lost, when I placed the bottom screws first, followed by the upper ones, the cowl fit perfeclty and very tight, too.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
hobby-plane-rc

I heard this thing sucks at hovering is that true!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

I just picked one of these up a few days ago and maidened tonight. At first look out of the box, it looks great. The build is straight forward and simple instructions.
I did however have an issue with the cowling, so I did what most of the other guys have done, cut the bottom to give it a bit more room.
I used the E-Flite 480 920kv with a 12x6E APC prop, Castle Creations Pheniox 45 amp ESC, 4x HS-55 servos, and a JR 610UL Rx.
I didn't get an AUW, but I'm sure it's close to most.
The first flight I used a Thunder Power Extreme 2070mah 3s lipo. It was a bit windy and I noticed the plane would want to roll right, so I trimmed to the left quite a bit.
Kinda boggled me as most will want to torque left. The flight other than that was great. Inverted, snap rolls, knife edge all were a breeze.
The second flight I used a 2 1/2 year old Polyquest 20c 2100mah 3s lipo. I took off and about 30 feet up and 50 yards out I lost control of the surfaces. No control.
The plane smacked into a tree and fell to the ground. Upon inspection, I broke the prop and can almost see a hairline crack in the cowl.
So I change the prop to what I have with me- a APC 11x5.5-E. I fly out again this time a bit slower in case of any trouble. I got her out and up there and was going to shake her up a bit and it dies again. ?? So I restarted, and found that my lipo won't put out what the 480 needs. So I flew a few more minutes and brought her around. The motor died again, this time I was about 15 feet up and on final, so she flopped down hard in the grass and broke the landing gear. Looks like 10-15 minutes to repair.
I have to say other than the second flight with a weak lipo, this bird looks and flies nice. Much, much better than that Cessna I got from them.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 PM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

Mine flies great on the recommended power. My cowl fit perfectly with the recommended installation. Flies great and hovers great.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:32 AM
hobby-plane-rc

are you sure about that?? i heard it tends to torque roll after a few seconds..
Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 AM
PropStriker
My Feedback: (12)

I'm on my secound airframe due to flying this gem into the early evening and being too dark, lost orientation.
High Alpha Knife edge is fantastic, pulls to the canopy ever so slightly. Snaps are nice and stop where you want them. No wing rock during Harriers, and hovers easily on the recommended power system. It is true that as soon as the tail is tucked under the prop in a hover, it starts torque rolling. Full aileron and it stops the roll, a nice breeze and it doesn't seem to have the TR tendency.
I like this plane alot, it flys with the same habits as my 35 and 40%ers.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: aflipz

they have one in the works, its so top secret even i know "nothing" about it... ( PA fibre fusion 260)

i can tell you it's the next "big" thing in electric rc and it's going to be right up your alley... That is ALL i know and it's purely rumour at this stage... (and you didn't hear it from me...)

When didn't your hear they may expect to have such a beastie on the market?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:27 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Just dry fitted mine.Good looking bird,may have to cut cowl a tad,so it will slip over for mounting.Should fly in a week or so.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:57 PM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

BTW, mine is 28oz auw.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:17 PM
pingber1

...been flying mine for about two weeks ...its a great flyer BUT you MUST fly it in for a landing ... under power, it won't nose over (I fly off of sod) ...

Also, is anyone having a problem with the wings loosening slightly? The set screws are VERY tight, but the wings still have some give at the leading edge.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:11 AM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: pingber1

...been flying mine for about two weeks ...its a great flyer BUT you MUST fly it in for a landing ... under power, it won't nose over (I fly off of sod) ...

Also, is anyone having a problem with the wings loosening slightly? The set screws are VERY tight, but the wings still have some give at the leading edge.

My wings are not the tightest i have seen but they are ok. I mostly harrier land it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpBQoy740fQ
Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 AM
nitro wing

Looks like it flies good for a little woody.Thanks for the vid.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 PM
nitro wing

Got mine done,about 7 hours with getting the radio programed.
Definately one of the best looking minis out there.The build went fine,no mods,except for tight cowl.
Hope to fly it this afternoon
Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 PM
nitro wing

OK,got 2 flights on it.I am not kidding when I say that this flies like a 1/4 scale.I am so impressed.It is light and smooth and stable.I felt very comfortable with it.It can come right in,nice and slow and predictable,no tipstalls.It does torque roll in Hovers,but with practice I think its manageable.Some minor adjustments and mixing and its good to go again.
I did spend some extra time with radio set up and CG adjustments.It paid off [8D]
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 PM
nitro wing

Before maiden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81318.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	741670  
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 PM
aflipz

Looking good nitro, Edit; upon closer look; what is a SF prop doing on the nose of this plane???
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
nitro wing

Heheh,yeah I know,it came off my foamy Ultimate..I do have an APC 12x6E in my flightbox,just havent got around to putting it on.What difference can I expect? I asume that the SF has more bottom torque,but lacks rpm?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:49 AM
nitro wing

Got 2 more flights in.I love this thing,its a real honest nice flying plane.

Some things I would consider on a second build...
Change the hinges to hinge points or similar,the CA hinges work fine but are too stiff for the little servos to fight against,especially on 3D rates.I use S 75's.probably ok if you have free hinges,maybe 2 better ones for the tail,only 2 in order to avoid loading the receiver.I am still testing,but it seems a bit more right and down thrust could be beneficial.
I have mixed in 8% up elevator for KE,that helped clean it up quite a bit.
I already had a 480 910KV instead of the 1080KV recomended.I guess I am shorting myself some rpm ,but it still works well.May upgrade to abit more punch in the future.The 910KV pulls it easy and hovers it with authority.Will try the 12x6E soon.Video to come soon.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Salparadise

Can anyone compare this badboy to a Mini Pulse XT?

I just crashed my XT and, although it only needs a new fusalage, I am tempted to built this plane instead since it should be able to take all the same electronics.

I've never flown 3D before and I would like to eventually learn; in the meantime, I just like cruising around really fast (I had the 480 in the Pulse) and doing loops and rolls and what not. Will the 260 3D do the sport flying as good as the Pulse or do you loose some of that speed and stability for the 3D abilities? I had by no means mastered the Pulse (still no knife edges or anything too fancy) but I had started to get bored which is why I was trying to see how low to the ground I could fly it while upside down when it took a digger. Will I be able to pick up where I left on with this 260 and then have more room to grow? My fear is that I will rebuild the Pulse only to become totally bored with it in two weeks when I sharpen my skills and tighten up all of my Pulse moves.

Thanks for your input.

Sal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.