Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

E-Flight Tribute 3D FX Flying issues

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E-Flight Tribute 3D FX Flying issues

Old 05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Flight Tribute 3D FX Flying issues

3DownLow,

Well, It got it ready and been flying my new Tribute FX for a couple of days. This one flies even better than my first one!

I have yet to install the SFG's since I wanted to see how it flew without them. As expected, the Knife Edge's require more input adjustments, although, surprisingly I can do them rather well without the SFG's.

Unlike my first one, I can do an elevator with only slight rocking of the wings which can be quickly overcome with change in throttle adjustment and aileron control adjustments. Same for the harriers, regular and inverted, which I can do close (about 10 feet) from the ground. Still having some difficulties with hovering for more than about 10 seconds, but I'm working on getting better at it.

I can go inverted without requiring hardly any elevator adjustment. This surprised me since I had to use spoilerons on my other one to accomplish the same thing.

I did some things different with this new plane. Basically, I reinforced the weak areas. As you probably know, I'm not proud of how I found these weak areas -- just some basic observations at the scene of the crash on my first one! I used clear packing tape on the fuselage to reinforce these areas and also added some foam reinforcement to the battery compartment. I protected the wing front edge with plastic tie strips (you hardly notice them) to protect them from contact with bushes that sometimes went after my Tribute. I also added a little weight to the the tail to get it properly balanced and also protected the bottom of the rudder since I fly on grassy fields.

All of the above mods added some weight but I think that has actually helped the way it flies. I also use 3S 11.1v 2100 mah li-po's which add to the weight. Next, I will be adding the SFG's so I can get back to those killer KF's!

This Tribute is a great winner for E-flite.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

Way to go Jmir! The TFX is really a great flyer for chucking around. Never had a foamy that does pattern and 3D as well. Funny thing was I drew up a similar design last year with the SFG's and other surfaces already in place. It looks like this proves my theory of less fuse side area, and make up the difference with the additional wing surfaces. Less power is needed with less drag from a bigger fuse and you get killer KE's! Now I don't have to build a proof of concept plane. Wish they'd make a larger balsa version. Say about 72" wingspan. Sheeted foam core wings maybe. Put me down for one!

Here's my napkin sketch. Just some aerodynamic stuff I wanted to try out.(not all at once, or all at once).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31577.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	694482  
Old 05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
SUPERGONZO

Man that is the sickest Video I have ever seen!! Very Humbling!!!! Great Job...Awesome doesn't describe that flying ability
Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 PM
3DownLow

Blake is a solid all round pilot. He does well in pattern and obviously 3D. He can huck his 35% Extra 260 like a foamie too! The worst part is he's 19 and been flying RC a little over 2-3 yrs. He's only getting better. I get a(education) kick out of watching him fly. You might be seeing a lot more of him in the future. It's a good thing I know about what trick he's going to do next, it's hard to keep the camera on the plane if you can't anticipate. Hope to get a better camera soon. Need one of those stabilized HD setups like Fred Midgett has ! Coooool!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM
jmir

Nice design! Looks very similar to the TFX. Wish I could learn and had the time to build from scratch. Sounds very interesting and fun.
I think the longer fuselage on the TFX contributes greatly to its stability and easier KnifeEdges.

I'm one of two in our group flying electric foamies. Everyone else flies gas and make fun of us always pushing us to get into gas planes. However, when I fly my Typhoon and TFX, attitudes change and they take notice of the flying characteristics of these two planes. I think soon some of them will start flying foamies.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
3DownLow

I'm 100% electric and don't plan on going back to IC within this lifetime. Don't get me wrong I like foamies too, but not as my main flyers. Flying the Reactor .46 with a Neu inrunner on 5s. Sweet! Also converted the Funtana X50 and the Showtime 50. I'm getting into the larger electrics now and lovin' it. Got an 8s plane on the bench now. But the TFX is a fun practice plane when I don't have time to drag out the fleet and haul them to the field. It goes in the back seat of the truck for between job practice(I need all I can get). If I were to use IC, it would definitley be a gasser. I do not miss the slime or cleanup one bit. I help out other guys with their glow/gas planes and the gassers are not as dirty(keep forgetting to bring a rag for some reason). Still can't ignore the larger electric motors and improving battery technology(and price). Really want to do a QQ 86" Yak next. The TFX is a good proof of concept plane for me and it's cheap. Would rather find out what to change on a smaller foamie than build up a scratch built prototype and have to change it. My concept plane is more of an outdoor F3P/3D/Pattern type idea. Somewhere in the 72" range. I love the way the TFX flies now with my current setup. I didn't think precision and foamie could be used in the same sentence, but thankfully I'm wrong. Even when the wind kicks up the TFX can handle over 10-15 no problem. Even seen it flown in over 20mph! Obviously not as smooth flying in those conditions, but not unmanageble.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
jmir

My next plane will be a larger one. I'm looking for planes with around 60" wing span or more. Just going through magazines and catalogs reading about them. Mostly looking at aerobatic, pattern type planes rather than extreme 3D.

I guess this next level will be much more expensive with the more powerful motors, 60A ESC's and the 4S type li-po's. I'm also using a Spektrum DX6 which I think I will still be able to use since I believe the effective distance is about 2,000 feet and that's plenty for the way I fly.

I will probably take the plunge into the bigger planes in a couple of months or so. I figure that's about how long it will take to get bored with the planes I already have.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
3DownLow

The Eratix from E-flite looks like something you might like. 3s-4s sized about 54" wingspan. Nice wing for 3D training. Good price too-$150. Sort of E3D-esque.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM
jmir

Yes, I saw that plane in my new Horizon Hobby catalog. Also looking at the Hangar 9 Pulse XT ARF which can be equipped with electric power. Take a peek:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4100

I almost purchased the Mini Pulse XT at my LHS when I saw the Tribute FX, and opted for the Tribute instead. I have not regreted that decision.

Right now, I have too many planes (Stryker 27-B, Stryker 27-C, Parkzone J-3 Cub, Parkzone Typhoon and E-flite Tribute). They are all in flying shape, so I just got to bust something up before I get another plane!

Rain for this weekend, so looks like I'm grounded till Monday........ maybe I can squeeze in some flights before 9 am tomorrow when the rain is supposed to start.

ORIGINAL: 3DownLow

The Eratix from E-flite looks like something you might like. 3s-4s sized about 54" wingspan. Nice wing for 3D training. Good price too-$150. Sort of E3D-esque.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 PM
3DownLow

Pick the Eratix! You'll have a lot more fun with that plane I'm sure. Seen the Pulse fly, nice plane ,but not my cup of tea. You can do the same manuevers with the Eratix that you can with the Pulse. Then flick the rates up and the Eratix can do lot's more the Pulse can't touch. Bigger flight envelope! [8D]More bang for the buck.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 AM
jmir

Thanks for the advice. I will consider the Eratix. It will be a while, so I'm just picking the possibilities for the time being.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 AM
3DownLow

Or if you want to try just an aerobatic plane, the new Fliton Element F3A is another one to look at. Great to learn pattern on and sport fly I'm sure. But for the whole enchalada, the Eratix looks like a great overall plane. The videos look promising. Can't go wrong either way.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
jmir

Well, protecting the TFX really worked!

Yesterday, I had a very rough landing. Winds were about 10-12 mph, perhaps more. The TFX did a couple of cartwheels and the fuselage actually folded into an "L" shape but sprung back into its original shape only leaving a crease on the side where it had bent. The weakest spot is where the exhaust opening is at the bottom of the fuselage. I had used clear packing tape on each side and bottom of fuselage. The tape really held it together and prevented the fuselage from snapping in two.

Damage included an aileron that came disconnected, but I was able to glue the tabs back into place without any problems. Also, a little damage on the cowl. That was it.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM
3DownLow

Thanks for the damage report. Mine has a little crease behind the engine mount from an argument with the cooler in the back seat! The cooler won. But it just left a little wrinkle and no structural damage. Mostly cosmetic. I was assuming the fuse would bend at the cooling exit vent, it looks like I was right! [:@]
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
jmir

I've been flying my second Tribute FX quite a bit. Was doing rather well with the regular maneuvers, especially knife edge.

Well, I installed the SFG's and it has really made a big difference! I can do hi alpha knife edges close to the ground and very slow - it looks great! Elevators and harriers were also noticeably improved. However, I think it has affected my inverse flat spins somewhat -- will have to work on that till I get it right again. Very happy with the SFG's.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
3DownLow

After about 60 flights on mine, I finally had a mishap on landing. Nice greaser landing, touched wheels, cut throttle and a good 15 mph gust flipped it over on its back. Nothing I could do but watch the ground half loop. Landed right on the T-wing, but with the carbon strips on the back side, there was no damage. Whew!! There's still some wing rock in the harriers, inverted and upright. I'm going to add another wing fence and a sawtooth wing edge to help with the stalls. Looks like the Clik F3A foamie. I'm also building that plane and 2 versions, 26" and 52" wingspans. The larger one is for outdoor and the small one is for flying in the house! Here's a pic of someone elses Clik on the right, mine regular sized one is not done yet. The pic on the left are my small one and large one next to the Zafiro 3D. Same type sawtooth addition I'm going to do on the TFX.

Name:	Vt56194.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	702014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21087.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	702015  
Old 07-15-2007, 11:24 AM
jmir

I have been flying the Tribute FX a lot. I'm almost retired (work on Monday and Tuesday mornings only), so I fly just about every day and sometimes twice on a day, especially if I'm trying different settings, etc.

By using clear packing tape to keep the fuselage together on a rough landing, the fuselage just bent at the exhaust hole. It sprung back together but left a crease on the side and a weakened fuselage. I fixed this problem by spraying Great Stuff on the upper part of the fuselage. The foam spread nicely and popped up the crease in addition to making it very strong, so I will not be experiencing any folding, at least in that area. Did not ad any appreciable weight.

With temperatures in the mid 90's, the batteries started to get really hot during flight. One of my Apex 1320 mah even puffed up a bit to the point I'm no longer using it. I cut a hole across the front of the canopy to get some air flowing through it and help keep the batteries from heating so much. However, on high speed, the added air flowing into the canopy caused it to pop open more than once. So I made another hole across the back of the canopy to help exhaust the air. This worked. Have not lost the canopy on quite a few flights and the batteries are much cooler.

I really like this plane!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM
mysticplayer

Been following this thread with much interest. Great tech on the SFG and other add ons.

I have reentered RC flying after a long break and all this electric stuff is amazing.

Right now, my plane is the GWS Formosa. Great sport pattern but not all that great for 3D. Size and weight is almost identical to the Tribute. SG kits are $27 so a smoking deal. However, the wing and battery location don't work all that great in super high alpha slow stuff. Goes like a rocket for pattern stuff though.

I am in the midst of building my second modified version which will have a very strong resemblance to the Tribute. The first version was a mid wing with very large surfaces from a Charger RC flat foamie. Flew wonderfully but still lots of penetration for 15mph winds. Could dance around slowly and didn't have much if any wing rock in harriers. Hovering has not been so good but that is more me then plane me thinks.

Recently did a 12' manuever 10' off the ground so will work on a new fuselage.

The first thing I noticed was the KE was not as good as my faster pattern version so was thrilled to see all the experiments on the Tribute. I will use this info to modify version 2. I will put on SFG's and possibly some tip fences depending on how it flies.

Not trying to hijack the thread but using all this wonderful info to reach the same spot with another plane. Can post pics when done if there is interest.

Jerry
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
3DownLow

ORIGINAL: mysticplayer

Been following this thread with much interest. Great tech on the SFG and other add ons.

I have reentered RC flying after a long break and all this electric stuff is amazing.

Right now, my plane is the GWS Formosa. Great sport pattern but not all that great for 3D. Size and weight is almost identical to the Tribute. SG kits are $27 so a smoking deal. However, the wing and battery location don't work all that great in super high alpha slow stuff. Goes like a rocket for pattern stuff though.

I am in the midst of building my second modified version which will have a very strong resemblance to the Tribute. The first version was a mid wing with very large surfaces from a Charger RC flat foamie. Flew wonderfully but still lots of penetration for 15mph winds. Could dance around slowly and didn't have much if any wing rock in harriers. Hovering has not been so good but that is more me then plane me thinks.

Recently did a 12' manuever 10' off the ground so will work on a new fuselage.

The first thing I noticed was the KE was not as good as my faster pattern version so was thrilled to see all the experiments on the Tribute. I will use this info to modify version 2. I will put on SFG's and possibly some tip fences depending on how it flies.

Not trying to hijack the thread but using all this wonderful info to reach the same spot with another plane. Can post pics when done if there is interest.

Jerry
It's all good Jerry. We learn and then learn some more...here's some pics of the Clik XL speaking of aerodynamic add-ons. Trying vortex generators out on it now by making assemblies and taping them on for testing. Would be rude of me not to post video link

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/DPK4YGFXMSKHC8FY

Name:	Tr51530.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	725378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21817.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	725379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62784.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	725380  
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
jmir

3DownLow,

Very interesting designs, to say the least!
Could not link to the video file. Can you post again, or show a different link?

My Tribute is still going strong.... only problem is the Park 450 E-flite motor. I think it's loosing some of its power. It also still gets very hot. Of course, 90+ degrees does not help at all.

By the way, one of my long time critics (gas flyer who thinks all electric planes are junk) is now considering purchasing a Tribute as his first electric plane! Couldn't believe it! Of course, those slow, high alfpha knife edges about 10' feet from the ground plus hovers (still not very good here), harriers, elevators, etc. got him interested.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
3DownLow

Sorry, fixed it try it again. Here's another one showing what the Clik XL can do in heavy 20+mph wind.
http://rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.p...mentid=1365181
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
jmir

Great Video! Very smooth flying aircraft.

I assume the Vortex generators allow it to fly very slow and very stable. Most of the time it looked like you had filmed it in slow motion. This is first time I hear/see such device on an airplane.

Is the blue foam you used the one you can readily obtain at Lowe's? That is, home insulating material?

I have a "Bob" used for aerial dogfights and is made of such material.
Here is video I uploaded some time ago. I've learned to control it much better since then. That little plane is amazing what it can do.

http://media.putfile.com/BOB-21

Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM
3DownLow

Yup, that's 1/2" x 4' x 8' sheets of Blucor. The vortex generators give you the constant speed and control. Still working out which size and number of VG's work the best. That's the reason for the blue painters tape. Don't like it, take it off. When I get the right combo I'll glue everything on.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Dave ESPI

Well, I took the plunge.

I picked up not one, but TWO of these planes ( As I'm sure I'll totaly thrash one while getting the hang of it as seems the case with all my planes and helis....)

I'm runnig the DX6 system and a 450 brushless with a Thunderbird ESC. Batteries will be TP 1320 11.1's or something around that. I'm starting my first build this week.
I'll be happy to take any tips you guys have

thanks.

D.

I started my build.
needed to change the paint a bit first.