Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Eflite Edge 540 BP 3D ARF - Comments??

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Eflite Edge 540 BP 3D ARF - Comments??

Old 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eflite Edge 540 BP 3D ARF - Comments??

Flew three packs yesterday...got video of the l;ast...now if my bro-in-law will ever make me the dvd i'll post it up too...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Ron Landram

I know this is an old post but I just finished mine and thought I would comment.

I haven't flown it yet due to the rain here however the assembly was pretty simple:

1. The control rods are cheap pot metal and two broke tightening the servo links (Du Bro Links), replace them.

2. The airframe is one of the best I have seen, good quality, simple and strong.

3. I really liked the control horns, some of the easiest to use.

4. The recommended power set up is a E-Flight 450 with a 25 A ESC and a 12.6. I found that I had to re program my Thunderbird 25 ESC to set the current limit to insensitive or it would immediately cut off at full power. I am not sure if it is because of the battery or the ESC is too small or the prop is too big. I think I will upgrade the ESC to a 35 A.

5. The discussions have been going on about the landing gear for two years and still they have not been upgraded. Also how do you tighten the axle nut without crunching the wheel pants?

Still a good buy and a nice airplane.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM
kennyt

yup, they are still selling this plane with crappy landing gear, we are using the dubro landing gear and it works like a champ

also have a 30A ESC that runs WOT with a 12 x 6 APC slow fly prop and takes off like a rocket without overheating on a 450 motor.

ORIGINAL: Ron Landram

I know this is an old post but I just finished mine and thought I would comment.

I haven't flown it yet due to the rain here however the assembly was pretty simple:

1. The control rods are cheap pot metal and two broke tightening the servo links (Du Bro Links), replace them.

2. The airframe is one of the best I have seen, good quality, simple and strong.

3. I really liked the control horns, some of the easiest to use.

4. The recommended power set up is a E-Flight 450 with a 25 A ESC and a 12.6. I found that I had to re program my Thunderbird 25 ESC to set the current limit to insensitive or it would immediately cut off at full power. I am not sure if it is because of the battery or the ESC is too small or the prop is too big. I think I will upgrade the ESC to a 35 A.

5. The discussions have been going on about the landing gear for two years and still they have not been upgraded. Also how do you tighten the axle nut without crunching the wheel pants?

Still a good buy and a nice airplane.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: kennyt

yup, they are still selling this plane with crappy landing gear, we are using the dubro landing gear and it works like a champ

also have a 30A ESC that runs WOT with a 12 x 6 APC slow fly prop and takes off like a rocket without overheating on a 450 motor.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Ron Landram

I reinforced the crappy landing gear with stiff wire and it works and looks good. I also had to replace the soft wood to which it was attached with a piece of a stick used to mount motors. It is very durable now and can withstand rough landings without any problems.

This is my "all-fun", "no-fear-flying" plane, so I try all kinds of crazy stuff with it. Yes..... it has gone through many crashes but it is easy to fix. I have also reinforced all the weak areas in the fuselage (the ones damaged on crashes).

Great plane to have.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 AM
kennyt

jmir,
you treat this plane like i treat my foamies! i agree that it is much more fun to fly with a "no worries" attitude. make's you more skilled pilot (and builder/repairer) in the end.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
LostMyPlane

Hello Everyone,

I’m about to build the 540 and thought I’d ask a question on my motor choice. Well, it’s not as much of a choice as what I own now. I have an AXI 2212/34, a Jeti 18amp speed controller and some 1500 3s lipos.

Does this setup sound too heavy for this plane?

Another question I have is about the AXI motor. I bought this motor about 4yrs ago and couldn’t find the instructions to it, so I went to search Models Motors web site. I see that they now have there Gold & Silver series motors.

My AXI doesn’t have the word Gold Line written on the side, but it looks the same to me. Would mine be a gold series with the same specs or did they upgrade the motor in some way over the original AXI 2212/34?

Below is a picture I found of my motor on the web.

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
insalacosm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello - How well does the plane track? A friend and I enjoy practicing our pattern sequences at a nearby soccer field during our lunch break and are looking to replace our foamies (E-Flite Sobre and Extra) with something that tracks a little better and can handle a little wind. The foamies twist so much and have absolutely no momentum so they hardly resemble the flight characteristics of our pattern planes.
thanks
Steve
Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM
kennyt

much more accurate than my foamie since its so much stiffer
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

I've had my Edge 540BP since just after they came out. Aside from the crappy gear, I love it. I originally flew it with a brushless inrunner on a GWS-type gearbox from a now discontinued UltraRC Yak profile of similar size. The Yak was built MUCH lighter (and MUCH less strong....and come to think of it, MUCH warped!), and while this motor flew the Edge OK, it was no barn burner.
So when I broke the prop shaft on the gearbox, instead of fixing it, I took a chance on a BP Hobbies outrunner (the 2217/9) which claims 188W on a 10x7 APC electric prop (I had been using the GWS 10x4.7 slow fly prop prior to this).

The Edge has had a number of run-ins with the ground since it was built, with the motor mount stick usually taking the worst of the abuse (it's been repaired at least 4 times so far!). Well, I finally got around to mounting the BP Hobbies motor yesterday, and WOW, what a difference! First of all, the C/G moved forward a bit (maybe 1/4"), which changed her from twitchy all the time on low or high rates to a much more stable performer (as you would expect with a more forward C/G). On high rates, it's still quicker than my brain can react sometimes, but that has it's advantages too!

I'm no 3-D expert, so I claim no ability to hover in the real world (in Realflight I'm a champ though...as long as the difficulty is set to beginner or intermediate!). However, this thing has unlimited vertical now, and the acceleration from slow flight to full-throttle in level flight is just wicked! All in all, it's a blast to fly, and that's how I always get into trouble! My stunts get lower and lower until......WHAM!....dirt nap. Thankfully, with a little patience (and even more epoxy) she keeps coming back for more. I may have to retire her though, as soon as my two-for-one deal from PAU comes through (two Yak profiles for $49.99....shipped!).

I got my Edge 540BP when they were more like $90, but now that they're up to $120 or so, I'm not sure I'll buy another. However, if you have one of these and haven't chosen a motor yet, I HIGHLY recommend the BP Hobbies 2217/9 for less than $21, along with the APC 10x7E prop....dynamite combination!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
LostMyPlane

IFlySlowPlanes

What size battery did you use with the 2217?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
tommatador

i have just bought this plane and i want to set the dual rates for my graupner mx12, can anyone help me with the settings, i don't know how to begin...
thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Garyav16
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone using a throttle curve on your edge 540bp and if so do you mind sharing the settings?

Thanks